Reload this Page CGPeers Beta Testing
Off-Topic Discussion Freely chit-chat about anything

Old 08-06-2010   #1
SysOp
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 170
Thanks (Received): 1702
Lightbulb CGPeers Beta Testing

I currently got CGPeers to a rather usable/stable level. But it hasn't been thoroughly tested through yet. Which is why I'm opening it up a bit to allow for beta testing.

So if you got some free time and feel like probing around it, then feel free to register on it and give it a spin.

When you login, you'll see my ToDo list. It contains everything I'm currently working on fixing. When I or someone else discovers a bug, I'll add it to the ToDo list. Once it's been fixed, I'll remove it. So if you found a bug, and it's already on the ToDo list, then obviously I already know about it. So you don't need to tell me about it.

But if you do find a bug that isn't on my ToDo list, either leave a reply here noting the bug, or hop on irc and let me know there if I'm around.

At this point, it's quite functional. The backend is running smoothly. So it's more than possible to start adding your own torrents if you wish. Just don't expect much in the way of peers connecting to it at this time of course. Make sure you consult the FAQ first if you're unsure of how to create and upload torrents to private trackers. And of course, reuploading external torrents that wern't created by you specifically for this tracker isn't going to work that well. Considering xbit dislikes tracking external torrents.

http://cgpeers.com

Edit 2:
I got the hotmail/yahoo/etc problem fixed where they couldn't receive the activation emails.
Relaying all outgoing mail to another one of my other servs that isn't stuck in a blacklisted range.
So you can now register with any email account you wish.

Last edited by N☭x; 08-07-2010 at 02:43 AM.
is Offline  
11 Thanks, 0 . - dubdope, Totoro, tommyboy, solotro, esanti, hangar79, GoodStuff, Tiger, rodenrijs, someblackfoo, dosamantes thanked for this post
Old 08-06-2010   #2
florinurs
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 140
it will be something like gfxnews.ru? it is the best torrent site for gfx
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - johan thanked for this post
Old 08-06-2010   #3
squ
Thanks (Given): 433
Thanks (Received): 235
gmx.de doesn't seem to register either.
Old 08-06-2010   #4
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

The purpose of it? Yes.

But I greatly dislike their layout and the way they implement things.
Their backend is flawed. It uses a php announce. Once it hits around 10k global peers, it will start to shit itself.
Quite frankly, they're just running phpbb with a tracking addon.

My goal is to design a proper torrent tracker, using proper backend systems that can handle very high user loads. All costumed tailored to perform the way I feel is superior, and in a neat fashion that looks good from a design standpoint too.
6 Thanks, 0 . - heliopolis, dubdope, Tiger, muchograndes, very_bad_man, Ichio thanked for this post
Old 08-06-2010   #5
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

Only gmail has been successful as of current. It's a flaw that's easily fixed, but I have to wait on my datacenter to assign my new ip stack.

This is why we have beta tests, to fix all the bugs, like these.
Old 08-06-2010   #6
benji03
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 9
Hi Nex,
I have plenty of time and am willing to help beta test your tracker. I have a shit upload, so any uploading type things may be hard. Will you be adding a feature to donate for data?

Also apple.me email address are working no issues.

If there is anything specific you would like me to do or test, please just ask =) (pm)
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #7
benji03
Thanks (Given): 55
I do donate frequently to gfxnews via pay-pal and it automatically adds my data to my account. I am unsure how they do it, but it works well.

I could ask them if you like, I don't know the admins personally but I can try.

Yeah I feel better knowing that I am not just leeching when i donate, and it is helping pay for hosting costs etc =)
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #8
rahuxx
Thanks (Given): 198
Thanks (Received): 93
i registered as rahuxx, but did not get email.
approx time for the mail.
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #9
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

Look at my first post. Look towards the end of it for the bold text. And read it.
Since you must of over read that, seeing how you used yahoo.
Old 08-06-2010   #10
rahuxx
sorry for not reading.
I do not have gmail id.
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #11
Seezar
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 48
Gmail filtered the confirmation email as spam.
Now i'm registered there and trying to upload small torrent.
THX
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #12
NGEn
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 6
Got a problem I have just register to it but Haven't receive my activation email in hotmail check my Junkmail wasn't there... Any clues?.. Thanks
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #13
gplayer
Thanks (Given): 206
Thanks (Received): 990
Link(s):

Thanks for the laugh now go and re read carefully the very first post specially this:

Edit: Looks like I'm going to have to say this again:
Do not register with yahoo or hotmail. You won't be able to receive the activation email. If you haven't received your activation email within 5 minutes of your account creation, then your mail provider is blocking my ip stack at the moment.
Currently only gmail and apple.me have been confirmed to not be actively blocking my ip stack.
Any accounts that has been registered with those email providers (Or haven't activated their account within an hour of being registered) will be deleted till I have the matter resolved.

poor Nex i feel for him :P .
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #14
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

I'm aware, it's due to the spamhouseZEN part I already noted on.

Link(s):

Look at the bold orange text on my first post.
Old 08-06-2010   #15
scorn
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 18
Not got a activation email to my gmail account.

Edit... just got it.
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #16
johan
Thanks (Received): 206
Registration went perfectly. Though I hope this won't turn into such a junkyard that cgp currently is.
A lot of good stuff, but at the same time everything is cramped together with crap.
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #17
Seezar
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 48
I didn't found link for displaying the files list inside the torrent .
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #18
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

;_;
Hard to achieve without deleting a lot of incoming content. And how can one deem if it's not worthy
*shrugs

Link(s):

On the details page for a torrent, click the title in bold with the >>'s.
You'll see the filelist option.
Old 08-06-2010   #19
johan
Link(s):

I dunno about the forum, but in one torrent tracker I go to, they have for example one page for vray that has nice description and pics and everything, and then they have a bunch of torrents from different releases and versions.
Then if you click that link, it will bring you to the page of that particular release.
And only the main nice one appears on the index, all these versions and whatnot doesn't, thus it allows to have very organized site.

IMO that's a great feature and you don't need to dig through or use search to find what you want because there's a lot "less" content.

Hope you understand
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #20
squ
I've been thinking about this stuff for a while, since I noticed enormous upload speeds from some of the uploaders/seeders.

Then I became aware of seedboxes. Seems like they are popping up all over the place, and if anyone is making money out of warez, apart from rabidshare et al it's this relatively new bunch.

They make it almost impossible for anyone with an ordinary broadband connection to keep a healthy ratio.

I'd suggest a cap on uploading speeds apart from the original uploader. This would enable downloaders to get reasonable speeds at first, and then good ones later and at the same time keeping a good ratio.

It would also keep the seedboxers at bay.

At the same time, a donation alternative ain't a bad idea, keeps the bills paid and if there are a few beer tokens left over I have no probs with that. People do work keeping sites like this alive.

I know that this may not be popular with some, but frankly I'm for a much more democratic alternative to the rupert murdoch model.
Old 08-06-2010   #21
johan
Link(s):

How can you even detect if it's a seedbox or not? Or are you advising to limit all upload speeds?
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #22
squ
Link(s):

"I'd suggest a cap on uploading speeds apart from the original uploader."
Old 08-06-2010   #23
johan
Link(s):

*throws my seedbox out of the window*
is Offline  
Old 08-06-2010   #24
squ
exactly. Why in all honesty should we be pushed in the seedbox direction. Paying anything from 10€ and above per month to use a p2p network efficiently for everyone.
Old 08-07-2010   #25
Bytebandit
Thanks (Given): 567
Thanks (Received): 1151
Congrats Nex!
Looking really good and registered perfectly!
is Online  
Old 08-07-2010   #26
darktype
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 29
Nex, I used an old hotmail account to test and it sent the email instantly.

Guess you already resolved it with them?

Last edited by darktype; 08-07-2010 at 02:14 AM.
is Offline  
Old 08-07-2010   #27
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Yeah, was testing out a relay method. And got it working.

So yeah, you can now register with your usual email provider and it will go through just fine.
Time to edit out the orange text.

I'll answer the above suggestions later. Too bloody tired to think anymore after staying up forever trying to get that relay working.
Old 08-11-2010   #28
rasamaya
Thanks (Given): 338
Thanks (Received): 166
glad your working on this.
Best of luck.
is Offline  
Old 08-13-2010   #29
flervk
Thanks (Given): 299
Thanks (Received): 285
working fine so far; downloaded some stuff and currently uploading - no problems at all (except ratio not updating).
great idea, really; CGP should migrate to torrent system ASAP, I'm sick and tired of broken links.
keep up the good work, Nex.
Old 08-14-2010   #30
Oblique
Thanks (Given): 146
Thanks (Received): 7024
Yeah I too would love if this turned into a torrent system as well...that is if I could end up activating my account..
is Offline  
Old 08-14-2010   #31
Dave
Thanks (Given): 397
Thanks (Received): 452
btw nex, nice ToDo list, now give it a reason to be
is Offline  
Old 08-14-2010   #32
rahuxx
is there any way to convert all one click sharings to torrent so that we can use both way of sharing.
is Offline  
Old 08-14-2010   #33
snakehead
I would like give feedback on it
fronts are too small maybe bigger will better
I will post more as i encounter
is Offline  
Old 08-14-2010   #34
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

Ratios are linked with sphynix updates, which I need to fix as of the other day when it magically broke.

Link(s):

I blame your crappy isp provided email service.

Link(s):

Nonsense, it's a list meant to be ignored forever.

Link(s):

Get a seedbox, put rsleech on it. Download links through that, move the files over to tflux using ssh. Create a torrent off that.

Link(s):

Hold the Ctrl key and scroll up and down. Magic.

Link(s):

I've attempted a inforum system before. It was horrid.
Linking will stay as usual of course. But what's nice with CGPeers is that, instead of making a thread with lets say.. RS links, you could link to the CGPeers page with your torrent. Wala.

Anyway, sorry about the delay. Been out and about for the last few days. Back to fixing random little bugs till its perfected.

Also, I'm stuck at a crossroad on something. The frontend uses integers to count the filesize of a torrents contents. It has a 2gb limitation on 32bit os's. Causing torrents with a single file over 2gb to become invalid when it re-encodes it.
I've already spent two long nights trying to rewrite the system to use strings instead of integers. But it seems like i'm completely unable to get php to take the string it decoded, and compare it to another value for an improper part of the torrent re-encode. Leaving us with the 2gb max file size problem. I can't swap this server to 64bit due to some legacy issues.

So my options are, live with the 2gb limitation for a while and just have everyone who have a single file over 2gb to split it before creating the torrent. Then hope donations made directly towards it pick up to the point I can get it its own server.

Or, if anyone is willing to pool money towards a vps (The decent ones are around $50/m) which I can setup with 64bit centos and eliminate the above problem right off the bat.

So let me know if anyone is willing. If not, looks like we're stuck with teh 2gb problem for a bit. But isn't "THAT" hard to split a file before torrent creation if its over 2gb.
*shrugs*

Last edited by N☭x; 08-14-2010 at 12:41 PM.
is Offline  
Old 08-15-2010   #35
daimi
Thanks (Given): 132
Thanks (Received): 165
All torrents disappear ?
is Offline  
Old 08-15-2010   #36
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

Refresh.

Also I just fixed the Torrent not showing as registered in your client after being uploaded.
Which is what caused non of the new torrents to work.
Old 08-30-2010   #37
hangar79
Thanks (Given): 128
Thanks (Received): 38
Good Job!!!!!!!!!! I have registered
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - 3DEXILE thanked for this post
Old 08-30-2010   #38
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Well a couple things to note.
I'm not sure where you're assuming this will be a purely open system. This is being designed over the what.cd method, which I see has been extremely successful.
Which is having a closed registration (In this case, after a few weeks to let most people nab their main account). With a ratio system.

Why is this superior? Well when you have a ratio system, people will feel obligated to seed back their share (They only need to seed back the amount they leeched to be in the "perfect" zone). When you got a lot of people seeding, this allows for a massive infrastructure to be created for every torrent they're on. The larger the seeder infrastructure, the more leechers it can handle while maxing out the leechers connections (Which is what everyone wants).

So basically, with this system, when someone is done fetching the files, they'll then want to seed back the same amount or more to everyone else. Causing torrents to stay extremely fast for everyone else. And since many people will want to try to upload more to get a higher ratio to allow for a lot more play room, they'll keep torrents seeded for much longer. Thus allowing torrents to stay alive for MUCH longer.

Just look at what.cd if you ever can, you can find really obscure albums from ages back, and it will STILL have seeders. Then you got your rather well known albums, and they're packed with seeders allowing you to download those torrents at max speed. MUCH better than rapidshares/etc download speed limit they impose.

Now, lets look at a open tracker like lets say, thepiratebay. It's fantastic for major releases and new popular releases. Always got a lot of seeders. But notice it quickly tapers off as it gets older than lets say, a month. And a lot of other torrents that just die after a few weeks/months. (Compare this to private trackers, torrent just seem to last and last and last)
Why? Because most people kill off their torrent once it's done. Because they don't feel obligated nor get rewarded for seeding. Sure there's still people who do it because they're good people. But it's just so painfully rare.
Most people are sheep, you have to jab them in the right direction with rewards. And in this case, the reward is being to freely download everything they want at max speeds.

Then of course, you may then want to debate why it has to be "invite" only.
Well that should be obvious. Seeing how anyone can just delete their old account and make a new fresh one after completely raping their ratio to right to the kill off point.
By having an invite system, it adds a bit of a challenge to that. I'm still going to make it rather easy to nab invites though since it will be easy to get invites for uploading. But at the end of the day, it will just be easier to not fuck up your ratio.

With that out of the way. I suppose I could add in that catagory. I would have to think about how it will be placed and implement though, as to not clog up everything else in the main list.

Though, if having a "open" system is seriously critical here, I could make a sub site based around my current script revision, but rewrite it quite a bit to not use ratio tracking.
But for obvious reasons, this won't be able to use the same database as the primary seeing how that would create a obvious flaw in my invite only system for the main site.

I could make this "open" version dedicated to poser/daz. Keeping the majority of the users on HERE happy, seeing how a lot of them don't like seeing poser/daz content clogging up their stuff.
But have a sub site dedicated to all these other users.
But alas, I can't guarantee this sub site will have well seeded torrents due to the grab and run effect that will apply without a ratio system.

So yeah, excuse my wall of text.. But would that work?

Last edited by N☭x; 08-30-2010 at 05:23 AM.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 . - BONESOUP, 3DEXILE thanked for this post
Old 08-30-2010   #39
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Well I'm about to passout, so I'm not going to say much at the moment.

But yes, it's based off the gazelle source.
And yes, i've looked at a phpmytorrent, and many others, like xbtit, etc.

I greatly prefer the way gazelle is scripted over the rest. Everything else functioned like rat feces for me. I just love the way gazelle has basically every function commented on it the source. And their irc channel is top notch for support.

And what makes you think I would have to make another site from scratch for this sub site? All I need to do is copy the source to another folder, direct the sub domain at it. And rewrite it a bitch to force global freeleech and edit out the parts where it shows you your ratio. 3 hours worth of work max. But that's not counting the header revision to reflect new logos and such. But meh.

And I would base the subdomain off cgpeers, not cgpersia. Much more logical that way. Quite frankly, I would love to deviate away from the whole persian aspect as much of possible. Seeing how non of my work revolves around it.

Now then, sleep ensues.
Old 08-30-2010   #40
Dave
Thanks (Given): 397
Thanks (Received): 452
i just think that ratio required should not be 1.0, considering upload speed is significantly slower than download speed in most cases, in my case, its ten times slower than my download... 650kbps to 65kbps, so a fair ratio would be 0.1 :P

Nex edit: You best be trollan

Last edited by N☭x; 08-30-2010 at 04:36 PM.
is Offline  
Old 08-30-2010   #41
yukon_28
Thanks (Given): 238
Thanks (Received): 386
Well, ratio of 1.0 (or more) is preferred of course, but in most cases you won't get any problems until your ratio is less than 0.5 or even 0.4. Upload speeds is slower than download, true, but you always can seed some popular stuff to get a ratio, so you can spend it later if you can't seed some other stuff for some reason.

I am, for example, downloaded Jeff Patton's mental ray videos torrent, i already had most of them, so i pointed uTorrent to the same location with same files and folders, so i got from the starters 75% finished, and then after downloading the rest of files i have not stopped it, it continue to seed when PC is on, so i can gather some ratio to use if needed (it's ratio of 2 now).
is Offline  
Old 08-31-2010   #42
tommyboy
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 6
its a good site ive started my first download its working fine. thank you for all the hard work!
is Offline  
Old 08-31-2010   #43
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
What yukon said. 1.0 is obviously preferred since it's the "golden ratio". Since you're putting back exactly what you took. But of course, it's still a good idea to have a higher ratio for when you want to go on massive downloading sprees.

Now, if you were to look at the rules wiki, under the ratio rules, you'll see exactly how it's structured.
Fapedia - Encyclopedia of Hawt
(Excuse the site title and some other aspects with it, I'm not done rewriting it)
As you can see, the first 10gb can be downloaded without worrying about your ratio since ratio tracking doesn't kick in till then, to allow you to gather some torrents to seed.
Now if you refer to the little text graph on that wiki, you'll see as how you download more, you'll need to maintin a higher ratio. But it's still at an extremely acceptable and easy to obtain minimum, and never exceeds 0.60. And to be nice, if you're actively seeding all your current torrents, your ratio minimum won't kick in till much later on and be lower overall compared to the "regular" ratio minimums.

It's a very simple and fair system.
And if you're truly unable to seed, I will accept donations towards the server for upload credits. So at the end of the day, you're still giving back to the community. Seeing how these things are bloody pricey.

As for ease of use navbar navigation, I already have some things planned out to drive the initial lump of traffic over before I swap to the invite system.
And imo, the navbar you linked to is painfully bloated, I already have some nice simplistic ideals.

Also I don't actually consider the blog as part of my network of sites. The only similarities this particular site has to the blog was that I'm currently using a subdomain off it. So I doubt I'll be doing any real integration with it. I don't even operate/manage it at all, that falls into the hands of someone else. I merely keep it online and error free. Quite frankly, I would love to finally give this site a proper non-subdomain, domain. ..Maybe I should do that finally.
Old 08-31-2010   #44
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Oh look, 3dxile posted before I notice. Righto so.

The site looks interesting. Not sure why there is a blog like portal though. I wanted to design cgpeers to mainly have itself distributed here. As in, someone makes a thread, they can provide the torrent link AND direct links. Make both types of people happy. But alas, still allowing pure torrent lovers to just browse the newest torrents page.

As for the /peers/ integration. Is that the myphptorrent source?

And for the forum, I of course wouldn't make another forum just for it. Would direct to this. Suggestions/Bug reports can still be made in the suggestions section here. Anyone wanting to make their releases more public and make a thread here including their torrent listing url.
Old 09-01-2010   #45
Cadmium77
Thanks (Given): 2854
Thanks (Received): 1277
This is all good;

Last edited by Cadmium77; 09-01-2010 at 09:38 AM.
is Offline  
Old 09-01-2010   #46
frantzu
Thanks (Given): 324
Thanks (Received): 398
I sometimes feel 3DExile is a bot. I never understand what he saying, maybe I don't know english.
Anyways wtf are you guys downloading, creating torrents and sharing or wtf. Nex gave us the posibilities to stop paying money for rapidshare/hotfile/sexfile/sexshare wtf why we don't take it and share there between us and to manage our file, no more deleting at reports.
Of course Nex should start thinking at a way to get rid of shitty spammers and leechers that don't seed.
But wtf I don't see activity on cgpeers. All sleeping? Wake up! Torrenting doesn't bite. I know almost 80% procent are used with paying servers, but you should always accept something new and this is new. Accept it. Hard time we go through, we are in a money crysis.

Last edited by frantzu; 09-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.
is Offline  
Old 09-01-2010   #47
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
Link(s):

Thanks for the support. But you do realize I'm not yet done with the site? I'm still writing a lot of the backend. And still got some features I need to finish writing up. It's basically dead because this thread is the only place cgpeers is actually being noted. Which surprisingly already got 500+ members merely having the url to it in this thread.

But when I am done, I'll have a nice overblown internal "advertising" campaign to get users to start uploading and seeding like crazy.
Old 09-01-2010   #48
frantzu
Yes and I'm glad to hear you are improving and adding features.
I know but that doesn't stop us, the 500+ to use the site, I mean is there isn't it?
I got some suggestions, do you accept suggestions?
Old 09-01-2010   #49
frantzu
Come on lol ' bot ', that rutracker is ugly, the only thing that's good there are the users who uploads good stuff and seed.
And a vb mixed with torrent would be crazy, a new forum and torrent, not for cgp, cgp has a forum already, but i agree with your idea to try, maybe you'll succed but will have to be a independed site and not post link on cgp because will be considered by nex advertisement and you can't make experiences with 2 sites on cgp members. so you'll have to make from scratch the ceo that rutracker and gfxw and get equal fame, torrents and users or better. a lot of work, i saw tons of torrent sites that failed and whenever i see a new torrent site i get nailbiting. of course they was started by n00bs or by single person.

Last edited by frantzu; 09-01-2010 at 05:15 PM.
is Offline  
Old 09-01-2010   #50
N☭x
SysOp
Original Poster
I'm too tired atm to debate or comment on anything. So i'll do that later.
But for the hosting, you realize you're asking for more resources than what my $10 package is. Yet you want it for 1/4th of the price. That's just lulz.

Unlimited bandwidth is impossible anyway, there's always some sort of global cap. Many hosters just say unlimited because they doubt anyone will ever hit their global cap, and it sounds better for naive clients.

If you only want to pay $2.50, then I can only provide a plan fit for that price, or else it will be very unfair for my client base.
1gb of space, 100gb of bandwidth a month. Mysql dbs and such are always unlimited.
That's more than enough for a startup site.

Also, I do not officially back any projects that I'm not mainly working on, or have any authoritive oversight over. So purely for quality control, I request you don't use and associate with the cgpersia/cgpeers names on your site if you wish to continue further development.