Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Default What upgrade in pc ?

Hi!,

I have:
CPU: AMD Athlon II 640 4x3.0ghz
GPU: MSI Radeon R5670 Cyclone 1g 1gb
chinese production power supply (to upgrade)
motherboard is no matter.
8gb ram
3xhdd 1xssd

I'm thinking about little upgrade for motion design, animation, video postproduction, and i don't have any idea whether to buy first processor i7 3770 with new motherboard and power supply or new GPU GTX 570 with new power supply...

What be better to buy and which of elements be more effective.

Warning, i don't have cash for gpu and cpu - only one thing

thanks !
is Offline  
Old 12-25-2012   #2
Pengo
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 439
"motherboard is no matter"=>not sure, motherboard as suplly is important part of your config, you could have a very good car but if you have, bad suspension and bad whell,same for pc...
Tell us which software you plan to use, but for video editing, CPU AND GPU is important, like ram, better buy I5 (mobo more cheap than i7 one) and good GPU than only a good GPU or good CPU, one without other is just stupid for video post prod 3D,or advance afx....
else you you want absolutely make like this, go for CPU...just because if you have a good GPU without good CPU, you will not exploite it enought , CPU will saturate before GTX go on level 3...(there is 4 level on GTX 570), else for GPU go with 600 serie...very impressive...
is Offline  
Old 12-25-2012   #3
akiro
Thanks (Given): 701
Thanks (Received): 508
Definitely the processor. This will speed up your whole work and the 3770K is around 135% faster for rendering if you compare the cinebench scores... (and it can be overclocked easily to 4,3-4,4GHz)
Link(s):

why a gtx570? you could go with a cheaper gtx560ti 2gb - the 2.5gb 570 is very expensive and only ~10-15% faster
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - nuewa thanked for this post
Old 12-25-2012   #4
nuewa
Original Poster
Current motherboard does not matter, because I want to change the platform from 'amd' to 'intel'.

I know what motherboard is good what is not, I have a dilemma over what upgrade first.

Second part of the upgrade I want to realize for about 5-8 months when I have the money for it.

gtx 570 because 560ti isn't supported by adobe

I do not want to save money, but also do not want to spend millions.

i want to montage videos, make color correction and grading,tracking and copositing video. Motion design, render animations with c4d.... I have a lot of pictures, RAW's and jpeg's and photomanipulations.... but montage, grading and motion design this is what I'm going to do in the day and night.

I currently have money only for a set of 'cpu + power + board', or '+ gpu power'
is Offline  
Old 12-25-2012   #5
Valkyr
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 82
Buy a new CPU and mobo and be prepared to reinstall windows along with all the drivers and apps needed. It would be wiser if you wait till you'll be able to purchase a SSD for bootdrive and some apps.

If you want to make the most of your money, get the 3770k, a good motherboard, decent aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock the shit out of your CPU.

If I recall correctly all you need to do in order to get your GPU supported by Adobe is to edit a text file, so you can buy any CUDA enabled GPU and add it to the list. Plus, as akiro said, the 2.5gb gtx570 is not worth those extra $.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - nuewa thanked for this post
Old 12-25-2012   #6
muto
Thanks (Given): 816
Thanks (Received): 170
about the cuda fix /non supported 560ti you might look here:
Link(s):

it woks fine, have 560ti myself
is Offline  
Old 12-25-2012   #7
nuewa
Original Poster
Link(s):

Actually I have SSD for OS and programs with plugins... if I upgrade Mother Board and CPU I must reinstall system with programs ? I don't wanna do this.... I have too much programs ;(

Thanks for answer.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - akiro thanked for this post
Old 12-26-2012   #8
Valkyr
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 82
Link(s):

Since you're currently on AMD you'll definitely need to reinstall your OS. Old drivers will interfere with the new ones, even if you'll completely uninstall all of them there will be something that will slow your PC down.. If your CPU was an Intel you could have got away with just uninstalling the current drivers.

If you do not wish to reinstall your OS try and delete all AMD related drivers ( even if they are from your GPU ), insert your Windows CD and select to repair the OS or try and reinstall windows over the previous one - it worked for me when I had Windows XP but since I got Windows 7 (about 3 years) I've only reinstalled windows twice (so I don't know much about repairing W7 using the install CD): once when I changed from 32bit to 64bit and once when I got a new HDD. I must add that almost 2 years have passed between the 64bit upgrade and the HDD replacement and my windows 7 was still ok.
is Offline  
Old 12-26-2012   #9
ericssin
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 30
if you change the mother board you have to reinstall softwares, and drivers obviously, remember that some programs base the licenses on your hardware ID so if you change the MB the hardwareID changes and the licenses won't work. also It's good to have a fresh install since you purge useless software that way you have better performance.
is Offline  
Old 12-28-2012   #10
TrouncedMonkey
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 14
If your mobo supports it I would suggest with going for the CPU - that is what will affect your render times, and responsiveness. For rendering CPU + RAM counts the most. If you would also like to play games, go for the 560Ti, it is a really good card for the price (you can tell, the price hasn't dropped since it was introduced 2 years ago!)
Old 12-29-2012   #11
legg
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 166
listern to Akiro he is 100% correct.
is Offline  
Old 01-02-2013   #12
nuewa
Original Poster
thanks for all the responses, you are invaluable