CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers Register FAQ IRC Chat
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > Site Suggestions & Site Errors & Everything related to CGP
Reload this Page What is "FreeLeech" & Why is CGPeers going the way of Demonoid?
Site Suggestions & Site Errors & Everything related to CGP Got a suggestion? Let us know. Also post any site errors here.

Old 06-01-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 4
Default What is "FreeLeech" & Why is CGPeers going the way of Demonoid?

The topic is in the title really. Simple enough question, but I couldn't find the answers in any FAQ or rules section. I've got a CGPeers account so I'm not TOO bothered, but I hope I dont have to start paying to download torrents, that would completely defeat the point of piracy IMO and I just wouldn't do it lol.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2012   #2
cg_fanboy
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 325
Freeleech simply means you can download from cgpeers, without getting your ratio going down.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2012   #3
N☭x
SysOp
Thanks (Given): 170
Thanks (Received): 1704
Link(s):

wat.

This thread is full of wat.

The whole point of freeleech was to make it easier for users to torrent WITHOUT EVER PAYING FOR UPLOAD CREDITS. Because freeleech basically dumps upload credits all over you.

And I totally fail to see the connection with demonoid. Are you referring to that fact that they almost never enforce ratio rules? Beause I can assure you, our system auto purges users who fail to follow them.. except when it's freeleech (It can still happen during freeleech though if you en mass stop seeding a lot of torrents when your ratio is right above the min). But alas, that's just to be nice every now and then.

You also ask what is freeleech. If you look in the section at the top of the site dedicated to everything related to the sites.. you'd see this was already answered in -> http://forum.cgpersia.com/f3/what-fl-53142/

That about sums up all I can understand from your thread.
Old 06-01-2012   #4
Shuriken 88
Original Poster
The reference I made to Demonoid was in regards to the "invite only" policy that they use (which I think is pretty unfair). I think torrent sites should be open to anybody who wishes to use them. Even the ratio commotion is a bit OTT IMO, but I can definitely understand the logic behind such stringencies.

I looked in the FAQ and Rules section thinking it would be there, and the "FL" thread could've been anything really, and because its abbreviated, it didn't come up in the "Did you check here before posting this thread?" suggestions.

Anyway thanks for clearing things up. Sad to hear that CGPeers is closing its gates to the public. I feel sorry for the people that will discover this great torrent site, but are too late to register...

Reminds me of ancient Japan back in the day lol! "You cant come in unless you have a written invitation from the emperor, and he'll never invite you, you damn dirty apes... HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!"...

-Emperor of Japan (A long long time ago)

Last edited by Shuriken 88; 06-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - darkarchitect thanked for this post
Old 06-01-2012   #5
Sly
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 1938
Link(s):

They are not invite only, they are open 1 day during week at random
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - Shuriken 88 thanked for this post
Old 06-01-2012   #6
N☭x
SysOp
Yeah but you make it sound like those people are forever doomed. Read what it says up top:
"CGPeers Notice 2: We're closing registration on the 3rd! Starting this month, CGPeers registrations will be closed to the public (Invites will still work). Instead, we'll only offer public registration for 48 hours at the start of every month. Don't have an account yet? Well get to it!"

The whole 48 hour information will also be included on the public index page once it takes affect. There's nothing stopping them from making an account then. You may think it's unfair, but when you compare it to any other private tracker, they're not even "nice" enough to allow open registration windows. Welcome to the world of private trackers, there's a reason so many people prefer them, the seed quality that comes out of them is bar non.
You'd understand this better if you had to deal with dozens sometimes hundreds of account dupes every day by users who want to treat the system like a purely public tracker, with their upload limit set to 1kbps.
1 Thanks, 0 . - joeykeys thanked for this post
Old 06-01-2012   #7
Shuriken 88
Original Poster
Yea I agree that theres some sites that go full scale "ancient Japan", so yea its cool that they still give people 2 days every month, but I just think they should stay open completely, all the time. Is it really because of server "up keep" costs, or more of a purity thing like you said? Maybe both.

I always seed my torrents too, hell, sometimes I dont even realise I'm doing it because I just let the download complete and never give it a second thought. The only time I stop seeding certain torrents is when my uTorrent list gets too cluttered, and daily when I turn my PC off (because electricity is an expensive game LOL).

The problem is though, even though I've been seeding SOME torrents literally for weeks, I've still only uploaded 5% of said torrent, and I dont have my upload speed set to 1kbsp lol. What kind of crap is that? I can download sometimes at 1mbps, but I've NEVER been able to seed faster than (I would assume) somewhere around 10-15kbps! Maybe its just uTorrent?

Its funny, I've been seeding torrents like Deus Ex 3 & Skyrim for about 50,000,000,000 years, but somehow I've only uploaded around 30mb for each of them!! Seems like seeding is a lifelong commitment, atleast for me, because of my crappy upload speeds!

Last edited by Shuriken 88; 06-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2012   #8
ghostface87
Thanks (Given): 109
Thanks (Received): 40
I agree 100% Shuriken. Registrations should be open 100% of the time.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - Shuriken 88 thanked for this post
Old 06-01-2012   #9
RNGD
Thanks (Given): 302
Thanks (Received): 58
Link(s):

Have you tested your internet upstream speed? most ISPs offer asymmetric internet speeds, where the upstream speed being lower than the upstream, sometimes by a very high margin. Try using speedtest dot net. I download at a top speed of about 2MB/sec, and upload at 300KB/1.5MB, so it's definitely not a cgpeers problem.

P.S.: I believe a closed registration scheme is great for cgpeers.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2012   #10
Murosel
Thanks (Given): 418
Thanks (Received): 2906
I agree with sysop - registrations should be limited so that it is easier to spot the Indians, erm, i mean scammers.

Torrents with a high seeder/leecher ratio will upload slowly - it's simple maths
If you want top increase your upload, seed more popular torrents
- I really need this, if you have it >>> Autodesk 3ds Max Techniques: A Day in the Life of a Technical Director <<<
is Online  
Old 06-01-2012   #11
Shuriken 88
Original Poster
Link(s):

Definitely

Link(s):

The problem happens with ALL torrents, from any site/tracker, not just CGpeers. Uploading files to sites the standard way doesn't take TOO long. I can upload a 5mb file probably in around 30 seconds, but I DREAD to think how long that would take if it was a 5mb torrent I wanted to upload lol!

@Murosel: haha, your sig induced the lolz within me.

Last edited by Shuriken 88; 06-01-2012 at 04:42 PM.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2012   #12
Murosel
Thanks (Given): 418
Thanks (Received): 2906
It must be your config.
I use uTorrent and I have to set limits to STOP it uploading too fast (currently 200k limit on a max 250k connection)
- I really need this, if you have it >>> Autodesk 3ds Max Techniques: A Day in the Life of a Technical Director <<<
is Online  
Old 06-01-2012   #13
Shuriken 88
Original Poster
Link(s):

What the hell man lol? Well I'm gonna put uTorrent on later so I can carry on with ME3, and maybe I'll notice some setting I overlooked, but the connection indicator is ticked green. I cant try it right now because its practically impossible for me to download torrents and use the internet simultaneously, because torrents seem to juice about 95% of the bandwidth on whatever computer Im using (upstairs or downstairs), but luckily it doesn't affect the other computer on the network. I guess each of the computers take a 50% share of the connection from the router, then Utorrent takes 45% of ONE of those PC's share of the bandwidth. I'm not too savvy with networking though, its just a theory lol.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2012   #14
gdebojyoti
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 39
Angry

Link(s):

What the **** do you mean by that?
Old 06-04-2012   #15
Spite
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 60
Golden Rules - #2 - ¨Access to this website is a privilege, not a right...¨

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 06-04-2012   #16
accesskb
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 74
either you're talking b.s or you're being robbed by Demonoid... I've never had to pay a cent for any downloads

and if you aren't TOO bothered as you say, why even start questioning your privileges

beggars can't be choosers
is Offline  
Old 06-04-2012   #17
prezadent
Thanks (Given): 586
Thanks (Received): 1370
Link(s):

He is a proud homophobic racist.
Old 06-04-2012   #18
richard3
Thanks (Given): 443
Thanks (Received): 141
Sorry guys, I m not familiar with torrents.

Is it safe?
What do I mean?
Dont you show your IP adress to everybody in the forum?

Sorry for this "stupid" question, but I did decide not to enter the cgpeers for now...

Anybody who could describe that shortly to me?

Thanks!
is Offline  
Old 06-04-2012   #19
prezadent
Thanks (Given): 586
Thanks (Received): 1370
Link(s):

Oh the things I could do to you if I only had your IP. Blasted! Foiled again!
Old 06-05-2012   #20
richard3
Thanks (Given): 443
Thanks (Received): 141
Hmmm...

that doen't really help.

I m not sure I understand
is Offline  
Old 06-05-2012   #21
gdebojyoti
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 39
@richard3:

View this
Link(s):

Or do a Google search.
Old 06-06-2012   #22
Shuriken 88
Original Poster
Link(s):

You just didn't read the thread properly. Yea I know Demonoid is a FREE site, but its also a closed site (so to speak), and when I said "I dont want to have to start paying for torrents", I was referring to one possible road THIS, or other torrent sites/trackers might venture down in a very f*cked up future. The day I get mugged by a website is the day I put a jihad on a lot of peoples asses, and I'm not even religious, f*ck that sh*t.

Link(s):

I'm expressing my deep, heartfelt sorrows for the poor b*stards who will now only be able to join during the first 2 days of every month. They'll surely be crying themselves to sleep, on a daily basis, and some of them wont even have beds to sleep on, poor sods, they have my condolences. Sometimes I question why we get the NHS and everyone else dont though, so I guess in that case I WOULD be questioning my own privilages!
is Offline  
Old 06-06-2012   #23
N☭x
SysOp
Ah Shuriken, the sensationalism reminded me of fox news.
1 Thanks, 0 . - Murosel thanked for this post