CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page Cebas Volumebreaker or RayFire?
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 01-06-2011   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 189
Thanks (Received): 239
Default Cebas Volumebreaker or RayFire?

hi guys
please advice what is best to use in 3dsmax 2011 x64... Volumebreaker or Rayfire?
i heard there is PhysX problems with Rayfire and Volumebreaker crashes alot..
if anyone using these tools with 3dsmax 2011 x64 please help..

thanks
is Offline  
Old 01-06-2011   #2
Deleted for Jesus
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 537
No PhysX problems in RF for me and vB running fine. In vB, just make sure you don't overdo the volumeBreaking, else, the calculations might take some time (and crash your system) depending on what HW your run max on, the more fragments, the more memory and calculations.
vB is way more accurate than RF when it comes to fragmenting (was built for that), so it's all up to you as an artist, and depending what you want to do.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - karen thanked for this post
Old 01-06-2011   #3
karen
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 189
Thanks (Received): 239
Thanks iceman32..
i tried to install VB in max2011 x64.. it version 1.0 SP2.. it says its for max2010.. i pointed to max2011 folder.. it installed the vb inside cebas folder in max2011.. didnt show up in modifiers... can you help
thanks
is Offline  
Old 01-06-2011   #4
Dave
Thanks (Given): 397
Thanks (Received): 452
neither. rayfire has no physx problem nor VB crashes.

but VB just fragments geometry, rayfire is much more complete, and you can fragment in many more ways.

the only thing i use volumebreaker is for fragmenting walls as bricks
is Offline  
Old 04-17-2011   #5
Whale
Thanks (Given): 266
Thanks (Received): 161
ok slowly mates, slowly:

VB is very production prooven. I mean very. The handling is much more complex as it is with Rayfire. In conjucntion with TP and MaxScript - wow - its an universe. That was the way Ceabas thought to use it. Originally it just was implemented in TP. Later on it becames an own modifier... As you could imagine there's no way for RF to clear the fight for itself.
Anyway. For fast and very reliable results in daily jobs, Rayfire is the first choice. Of course. Daily Jobs like breaking up a glass or stuff like that, Rayfire would do a great job.
If you plan to produce a Blockbuster like 2012 ;-), VB is by a mile predominant.

From Cebas:
Introducing - the End of all Practical Demolition Effects

thinkingParticles™ 4.0 is the next generation rule based particle system for 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design, offering unparalleled power to the user. thinkingParticles in its latest incarnation, Release 4, (R4) redefines Fluid, Rigid Body and Particle F/X simulation in a whole new way.
The advantage thinkingParticles delivers over event-based particle systems, (which works on triggers and time dependent events) made it the #1 choice of Uncharted Territory for creating Fluid, Rigid Body Dynamics and Particle Effects for their movie production of "2012." thinkingParticles was the key production tool responsible for driving the most prominent special effects in the movie "2012". Our latest additions to the software made it so powerful, it actually rendered the need for practical effects to zero!!
We trust, that you will find, by using thinkingParticles 4.0, that you will be able to create all the incredible effects that you have always wanted to create, but until now, have not been able to, due to the limitation of existing technologies.

Link(s):

Link(s):

(lots of videos as well....)

I work in production since a couple of years with TP... Much more as you could imagine is possible with it in fragmentations. The once disadvantage of it its the hardcore training curve.

If you have any more questions about particles, pm me :-)

Cheers

Last edited by Whale; 04-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.
is Offline  
Old 04-17-2011   #6
clayevans
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 2
Link(s):

word!
is Offline  
Old 04-17-2011   #7
PeKi7i
Thanks (Given): 456
Thanks (Received): 155
volumebreaker modifier is shit,very heavy on resurces and slow,for me vbreaker operator is very usefull only in thinkingparticles for procedural destruction.
is Online  
Old 04-17-2011   #8
Whale
So if you say its shit, either you missunderstood the philosophy behind it, how to use it effective without burning out your PC (btw its not designed for standard PC'S) or you use it for the wrong scenes or unfortunately builded models..

Cheers
is Offline  
Old 04-17-2011   #9
Whale
äh peki7i,

didnt you wrote primarily that VB were only usefull for you for breaking walls? Hä....? ;-)
is Offline  
Old 04-17-2011   #10
PeKi7i
VB were only usefull for you for breaking walls was what Dave wrote.And please dont give me that BS its production prooven thats marketing phrase and doesnt mean anything,yes it was used in 2012,but also thinkingParticles and HOudini,i wrote its usefful for parametric destruction in TPz but thats not modifier its operator inside TP,did you use it in production i tried but it was too expensive timeWise,voronoi scripts performs better with out multithreading and all the fancy stuff so i think VBreakerModifier gonna end its life cycle very soon...boy
is Online  
Old 04-18-2011   #11
Whale
the modifier, yes I go with you. As I wrote VB's intention never was aimed for a standalone modiefier. Originally, already wrote it, it was built for TP.

cheers
is Offline  
Old 04-18-2011   #12
PeKi7i
cheers Bro
is Online  
Old 04-25-2011   #13
didier
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 1
Volume Breaker is most powerfull in my opinion. You had to play with to understand it's workflow and combine with TP 4, it become very very powerfull.
is Offline