CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page Nuke HDD setup
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 03-15-2013   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 300
Thanks (Received): 287
Default Nuke HDD setup

Hi, guys.

Looking to improve my Nuke workflow in terms of data access, so I need some input on this -
what would be the best HDD setup?
I mostly work with image sequences, with occasional batch of R3D files.

Currently, Nuke/OS is on the SSD; one SATA drive (WD Black) is for material, one for cache, one for render output.

I was thinking of making RAID 0 (would 2xSSD help there, or it's better to stick with Blacks?) for working material, and maybe getting one more SSD just for cache.
Is there a better option? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
1 Thanks, 0 . - xzidique thanked for this post
Old 03-15-2013   #2
xzidique
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Go for a couple of INTEL 330/520 120gb SSDs on raid 0.....The rest is history....if you can afford and a third smaller SSD for your cashes and renders go for it. Btw what cpu configuration you have?

And a tiny question....In what resolution are you working with the r3d files? for example....In case you want to compose/CC for a low budget film.

Hope this helps
is Offline  
Old 03-15-2013   #3
hurricanz
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 49
also a 2-3tb HDD drive for storage and another one for backups/archives. Never rely on a RAID 0 to store all of your projects.. only on the ones you are currently working on. Doing that also frees up space and SDDs (and apps that use caching) love free space. Also recommend an SSD for operating system drive. System is more responsive in general. Make that one at least a 120gb for installing apps and OS.. nothing more. I have another storage drive used specifically for downloads, dropbox, stock crap, music and other utilities. It keeps my SSDs free which is important.
is Offline  
Old 03-15-2013   #4
flervk
Original Poster
@ xzidique

Do you use such setup?
The thing is, I'm not sure if I should go for HDD or SSD RAID - as I've read somewhere that SSD RAID won't help with video files (NLE editing), so I'm wondering if the same is true for image sequences.

CPU is still i7 920; it's working fine, but I'm planning to switch for soc.2011 and 6 core as soon as I can.

As for the R3D - anything from 2K to 5K, depends on the project. Usually it's 2K tops for low budget stuff.

@hurricanz

Yeah, OS is already on SSD, and yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind - keeping only current project files on RAID drives, with backup on some other HDD.
1 Thanks, 0 . - xzidique thanked for this post
Old 03-16-2013   #5
xzidique
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Yes I do...But not such an overkill....However I use a single SSD for my OS and two Raid 0 SSDs (Old G-Skills 120Gb each) for working space...which means I copy everything that I have to work on, in there. The speed of the NLE software that I assume you are using AVID/Premiere etc usualy occupies lots of RAM and loads from the hard drive the parts of the clips that usualy dont fit into the system RAM and when you add your effects are being rendered in real time from the CPU or GPU....The same happens in most software.....So faster hardrives faster loading times (buffering).

Regarding your upgrade.......I would strongly recommend a nice 2011 board and consider a Xeon 8 core Engineering Sample over ebay. 8 cores around 3ghz could do the job better than the 6 core i7......However if you are planning to Overclock go for the 3930K
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - flervk thanked for this post
Old 03-16-2013   #6
flervk
Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the info.

Okay, so ideally (not counting SSD that I have OS+Nuke on) I'd get 2xSSD (RAID 0) for project files and one SSD for cache.
One question remains: what about TRIM (as it's not available in RAID)?

As for the upgrade .. it'll probably be 3930K; not sure about the OC, I don't usually do that. Depends on getting some quality cooling solution as my computer is turned on practically 24/7 - Corsair H100, maybe? (I have H50 at the moment, it's doing great job, but CPU is on stock frequency and I'm not sure how it'd behave with raised values - especially with more powerful CPU)
Old 03-16-2013   #7
Timbo
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Link(s):

Depends on your RAID Controller. Newer Raid Cards and Chipsets support it.
Unfortunately only some 2011/x79 mobos seem to support it (yet).
I think some Asus boards do it.
Anyway, I run a x79 mobo with 2x crucial m4 256gb in raid0 without trim and get about 640MB/s read / 200MB/s write, sustained.

Link(s):

Do not get the H100, at least not for overclocking! It's loud as a lawnmower when put to the test.
At least thats my expereience.
You can get even better cooling and less noise using a decent tower cooler like thermalright silver arrow.
My 3930K @ 4,4Ghz runs 40C idle and max.60C on load with aircooling, 24H most of the time.

I'm not a big fan of overclocking either, cause I need the realiability.
But thats simply what the sandy-e cpus are meant for. Setting things up has become a breeze.
It took a few days to find the limits of the build though.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - flervk thanked for this post
Old 03-17-2013   #8
flervk
Original Poster
Hm, it won't let me quote .. weird.
Well, anyways:

@ Timbo

I didn't know that for RAID Trim, last time I've checked it wasn't possible. I'll look into it, thanks.

H100: I guess it depends on the fans you're using, Corsair stock ones are not good. I have couple of super silent Noctua 120mm models that are doing excellent job, so that won't be an issue (at least I hope so - I'm very fond of silent machine and can't work otherwise).
I'll give OC a go, once I get new CPU - 4,4 sure sounds tempting
Old 03-17-2013   #9
Timbo
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Link(s):

It was the pump which got very noisy unless the voltage was reduced.
Maybe a faulty sample, but i read other people had similar issues.
Apart from that the temps during load didn't impress me.
Anyways, you'll sort it out.

Well, and ... thinking again... i guess it's rather reliability what I'm after.
Good luck with your setup.
is Offline