CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers Register FAQ IRC Chat
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page Nuke for still composites
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 12-22-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 185
Thanks (Received): 237
Default Nuke for still composites

Is there anyone using Nuke for still composites? And if so, what are the advantages of using this in your workflow? Anything essential to compositing that nuke can do that photoshop cant?

ps. im talking about cg composites in photographic backplates, stills only.

ps2. is there an advantage of using nuke between the renderer and photoshop?

Last edited by breeze1; 12-22-2012 at 09:17 PM.
is Online  
Old 12-23-2012   #2
MMsodo
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
What I think of and what I miss first of all is the non-destructive workflow within (and possibility to reuse masks and such tools) in nuke that I would like see more of in PS (smart objects are in the right direction)!
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - breeze1 thanked for this post
Old 12-23-2012   #3
anonim
Thanks (Given): 469
Thanks (Received): 70
Used to do it, but in Fusion, not in Nuke, which is quite similar. Sure, goal you can reach from the both side - PS and compositors, but working in Fusion&Nuke for someone (like me) could be much more logical interesting and amusing. Nodal approach looks like great constructive buildings, and full 3D environment with camera angles and planes gives such exciting possibilities. Also, today there are and powerful plugins (p.e. Genarts, Foundry) that could help in wider working fields. Allas, in Fusion I didn't find in-software script for metric units (I don't know about Nuke), so at the beginning of process have to convert dimensions to pixels, but later everything is starting to seem as some sort of artistic iniciation and exciting, which I didn't find at same measure in PS. At one word - I miss nodal-based still image compositor, and Fusion (or Nuke) can masterfully fill that gap.
is Online  
2 Thanks, 0 . - breeze1, Cadmium77 thanked for this post
Old 12-23-2012   #4
breeze1
Original Poster
Hmm yes the non destructive workflow and nodal based stuff is pretty nice. Also nuke's ability to read openexr files and read all the channels from 1 node is pretty cool. And the 32bit float stuff...I might add nuke to my current compositing workflow, between the renderer and ps. Do most of the comp in nuke, then render that and bring it into ps for some final touches. I can see the advantages. Thanks for the input guys. If someone has anything else to add it's more than welcome!
is Online  
Old 12-23-2012   #5
Loudesbois
Thanks (Given): 146
Thanks (Received): 116
Yes, all the time.
There are some things you can't easily do in PS.
For instance, when you're dealing with 32bits images, many filters are not available.
The 3D system lets you integrate elements in a very accurate way with the Position to Points Node.
And the node based workflow is indeed the best.
is Online  
2 Thanks, 0 . - moldava, breeze1 thanked for this post
Old 12-23-2012   #6
breeze1
Original Poster
It's true about alot of filters not being available in 32bit in ps. You can't even use layermasks. So it's kinda useless to render 32bit files if you have to convert it to 16 bit after the fact anyways. I guess you can use smartobjects with 32bit files inside (havent tried that). Time go to in depth with nuke
is Online