CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page Replacing materials in 3DSMax problem
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 08-31-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 71
Default Replacing materials in 3DSMax problem

Over the years i have mainly used Cinema4D along with Archicad and Chief Architect but whilst i do enjoy C4d i thought i would try 3DSMax as i don't think it would hurt to have a good working knowledge of more then one 3d program.

My workflow would consist of modelling in Archicad or Chief Architect and exporting into C4D ether via a plugin or as a 3ds.

I would then light the scene and change the materials plus adding extra bits in C4d using Vray.

I thought it would be pretty straight forward to do the same in 3DSMax especially with the massive library of vray mats available freely on the internet.

The problem is a just can not get my head round the material part of 3DSMax.

Everytime i load a mat in I have to tell it where the maps/textures are loaded and until i actually load them into a free slot i don't have any preview of what the mat looks like.

The biggest problem though is if i have a mat in the scene that i want to replace with another mat I can't do it.

An example would be if a have a kitchen with units that use a birch mat but i want to replace it with a pine wood mat i have to select all the objects individually rather then just replacing the mat so all the objects in the scene that were using the old mat would be instantly replaced.

Using c4d this is easy because you just load a material and press alt whilst dragging over the mat you want to replace and it does it.

Thanks for any help provided.
is Offline  
Old 08-31-2012   #2
SoniKalien
Thanks (Given): 567
Thanks (Received): 804
1- Customize User Paths - add the path to your bitmaps there and 3ds will automagically look in that folder next time it's lost a bitmap.

2- Use Slate material editor - you can quickly change / preview bitmaps on a material basis. If you want to easily change an entire material (eg change wood to metal) you would have all the relevant objects in your scene assigned a VRayMtlWrapper, then in slate editor, you can easily 'plug in' your wood or metal material to the MtlWrapper material without having to select all the objects first
1 Thanks, 0 . - coop thanked for this post
Old 09-01-2012   #3
coop
Original Poster
Appreciate the help, thanks.
is Offline  
Old 09-01-2012   #4
b0S
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
I would just select the things I would replace the material for, and run $.material = undefined. Does the job.
is Offline  
Old 09-01-2012   #5
PixelsDill
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 9
The Slate editor makes an easy job of this in Max.
is Offline  
Old 09-01-2012   #6
coop
Original Poster
Cheers for the heads up guys much appreciated.

Got the hang of replacing materials now and it is pretty easy once you know how.

I have changed the texture path to look into 'materiallibraries' where all my mats are.

The problem is though most of the mats i have the maps are pointing to the PC of the person who created them not to the map on my pc.

Is there a way to change this or do i have to change them each time i use that mat.
is Offline