CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page Softimage/Mental ray integration
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 12-07-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 7
Default Softimage/Mental ray integration

Hello everyone

Question for Softimage Mental ray users: how is the integration going over there?

I'm using Max and here things are just abysmal. There are plugins out there that good people write that expose some stuff to us, but without them we would still be stuck in 5 years ago. And even those good people can't do everything.
Not one single "new" mental feature is exposed. Unified sampling, importons, irradiance particles, native IBL (for which you have to dig through text files of A&D and change code to even get it to work), which has been superseded by IBL shaders... I could be forgeting something.
Now i'm reading about Mental 3.11 and it's new shaders, lighting options, GPU use. I know we at Max will probably never see those, one has to ask why did they even hired Zap.

At the same time often on forums people say that Softimage has the best Mental out of the box integration (compared to Max and Maya), and since i'm just a hobbyist i was thinking about making the switch.

Is that true, are all new features exposed by default in Softimage?

Thanks in advance!

- No, i don't want to use Vray or something else, so let's not even go there.
- Yes, i want to use Mental ray. If you know how to use it properly it is very fast with great renders.
is Offline