CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page ZSphere Character Workflow Help
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 12-30-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Default ZSphere Character Workflow Help

Hi guys!

So I've been trying to practice making characters entirely in Zbrush lately to help me out for when I start up my new job.
The thing is, I'm used to always starting a base mesh in Maya...I like to get my topology down straight off the bat.
But for my new job, I don't do the topology and I pretty much just work in Zbrush the whole time so I've been experimenting with Zspheres.

I really like Zspheres over Dynamesh cos' I feel like you can get your form out pretty quick.
The problem I'm having though is when I'm making it, I put extra spheres on the fingers so that I can pose them better...so I end up with a lot more polys on the fingers than the rest of the body.
This becomes a problem for when I want to add more detail to the face because I'm having to subdivide but I don't need more polygons on the fingers, just the face...and after a while I can't go up any further because of the poly count.

So my question is, if you use Zspheres as a workflow for your characters how do you deal with this? Or would I be better off using Dynamesh?
is Offline  
Old 12-30-2012   #2
fugundees
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 11
You are going to want to do both. You start with ZSpheres to get the form down and then dynamesh after they are posed to give you the freedom to sculpt. Don't forget to turn on project in the dynamesh to preserve detail once you get into the finer parts. This is the best method to get form down properly while still utilizing the dynamesh feature.
is Offline  
Old 12-31-2012   #3
cheepskate
Thanks (Given): 302
Thanks (Received): 94
Worth exploring the Qremesher:
Link(s):

used in conjuntion with the Topology brushes newer features:
Link(s):

Fits with both Zsphere and Dynamesh workflows, just don't expect it to be a TopoGun.
is Offline  
Old 01-02-2013   #4
NicLOL1910
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your responses!

I never actually knew how to use dynamesh and still keep detail so that helps a lot lol. So yeah I'll put it into practice tomorrow!

Hope you guys had a great new years!
is Offline