CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers Register FAQ IRC Chat
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Graveyard > Trash Can
Reload this Page Win7-64 VS Linux-64 & CG Peer?
Trash Can Posts considered Spam or meaningless are moved into here. (Contact a mod if one of your posts were improperly moved here)

Old 06-12-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Talking Win7-64 VS Linux-64 & CG Peer?

Greetings CG Experts,

I'm new here, and have a few quick questions.

I haven't played with Linux too much, and I notice the software doesn't seem quite as up to date here regarding the releases (more with Win / Mac OS).

Are the advantages of working in Linux mainly stability? Performance? Would it be worth learning Linux and running my workstation on Linux, or better to stick with Win7-64?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a peasent, & with 18 days till the first of the month.. Anybody willing to invite me to the Peer club?

Much thanks for any info on the Linux thing,

katana vision
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #2
warburk
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
It depends on what you are doing, what softwares you are using, and your motivation for moving to Linux, GNU Linux

Are you moving for the open non-proprietary side or money, performance and stability ?

Are you going to need to change softwares ?

Does the firm you are applying for use Linux ?

But yes it is worth it.
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #3
habernir
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 37
if you just want to use linux for 3d then the performance in 3d (rendering particularly) vs win7 you dont feel much diffrence BUT and its a big BUT if you install linux and optimize it for rendering , lets say that in this situation i'm strongly suggest to use linux and not Windows .
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #4
tsar
Thanks (Given): 224
Thanks (Received): 610
x vs y...so fuck off
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #5
hurricanz
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 48
Link(s):

not necessarily always the case. They proved that wrong many times over with Renderman and Mental Ray. The main reason they use it on a farm is it's scriptable and configurable to the needs of large farms. It's more of a legacy thing at this point. It's the same bullshit people sling in saying that "Macs are better for graphics" without giving a REAL reason why, especially when it's the artist and not the cross-platform app they think only runs on OSX. Win/OSX are absolutely fine if you don't want to dick around or have the time for Linux, especially at smaller studios or freelancing. At bigger places, let the IT monkeys screw with it at which point you shouldn't be concerned as an artist if you are using Linux or not.
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #6
katanavision
Original Poster
hey Guys, thanks so much for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!!

From the answers here, it seem there (may) be some bonus to Linux when it comes to configuring it for rendering, but it also (may) be way complicated and not worth it (yet) as a rookie artist..

I guess I'll start learning Linux, and when I'm ready, give it go. But leave my OS as is right now.

Again, MUCH MUCH thanks!
KatanaVision

p.s. any chance of a CGP invite
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #7
bangbang
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 9
At this point it's better if you have a dual system machine, do your work in windows and experiment in Linux until you get used to it and tweak it to your needs.... If you are a 2d artist I would strongly suggest you try MyPaint (available for both Windows and Linux)
http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

And Krita 2.4 mainly for Linux a windows version is in the making
http://www.krita.org/

and of course the all new Gimp 2.8
is Offline  
Old 06-12-2012   #8
katanavision
Original Poster
bang bang - BIG UP!

Thanks for the suggestions: will check those ASAP