CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page Anyone actually putting Arnold renders in their portfolio ?
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Old 01-28-2013   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 25
Default Anyone actually putting Arnold renders in their portfolio ?

I'm curious, since arnold is popular around here, and even several threads dedicated to obtaining information on it...

Does anyone actually intend to use renders made from arnold in a portfolio ?

I can't really imagine what you say, that you used a closed and private software that is only obtainable by big studios, and then having it listed under, " Software Used" in your reel as a solo artist.

I would imagine employers thinking how someone like you could of had hands, legally, to Arnold.
is Offline  
Old 01-28-2013   #2
roodythepoo
Original Poster
I guess you could just not mention arnold at all, but it is going to be tough when they ask you what you rendered with along with the techniques used in that render.
is Offline  
Old 01-28-2013   #3
PandorasKeyboard
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Meh, what A-hole wouldn't hire you because you've used pirated software to create your portfolio.
I don't know anyone who has paid for their own licenses to make their portfolio and many of my friends are employed in very well known companies.
If you're applying at a place that uses Arnold then make sure you tell them that you use it too. They wouldn't care how you got it.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 . - magallanes, CyberHOG thanked for this post
Old 01-29-2013   #4
chesterfield
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
You could say you used the vpn version from fxphd.
is Offline  
Old 01-29-2013   #5
ghostface87
Thanks (Given): 110
Thanks (Received): 40
It gives you noisy as hell renders anyway. I reccommend learning 3delight or prman and using that with a pointcloud based workflow to get supersmooth, superfast renders even on a single modest machine but I digress....
is Offline  
Old 02-07-2013   #6
Georgeivan
Thanks (Given): 843
Thanks (Received): 866
I use blender and linux for all my work...fuck them all.
portfolio lol, bet lot of guys are using Arnold to make money.

A big hug to Roocoon for bring the first release here,at CgPersia
is Offline  
Old 02-07-2013   #7
gunk0001
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 56
its safer to use mental ray, because it packs with the creative suite.. not all studios or freelancer will have budget for thirdparty plug.
so you might end up using mental ray or if lucky enough vray.
is Offline  
Old 02-07-2013   #8
jpenguin
Thanks (Given): 104
Thanks (Received): 78
there's no need to mention it anyway since arnold is very easy to learn compare to mental ray. if your reel shows good understanding of lighting and good comp break down and a studio hire you, im sure anyone can pick up arnold on the job in less than a week.
is Offline  
Old 02-07-2013   #9
Sirin111
Thanks (Given): 165
Thanks (Received): 17
Link(s):

It this true? Can u explain this statement a little bit more?
is Offline  
Old 02-07-2013   #10
jackal159
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 7
Already have. People look at your reel to see the work you can create, not what you used. Every studio has their own pipeline/proprietary tools anyway.

Link(s):

Change the render settings....
is Offline  
Old 02-07-2013   #11
jpenguin
Link(s):

have u ever used mental ray? if the answer is yes, then do i really need to explain this to you?

u'll find a lot of posts where people mentioned vray was much easier than mental ray and makes rendering fun again.

arnold is even easier than vray. it's pure brute force. no baking, no pre-pass, no cheating, no thing at all to help you reduce render time. u just set quality and that's it. minimal amount of settings you need to mess with = very easy. but at the expense of render time of course. GI is even on by default.

the nature of arnold enables traditional lighters to jump right in and place lights/reflection cards the way they would do in real life without having to learn anything much about the renderer.

shader wise, arnold is just about the same difficulty as mental ray / vray. tho i would say arnold's SSS shader is a tad easier to understand than vray once you get a hang of it.
is Offline  
Old 02-08-2013   #12
roodythepoo
Original Poster
Do you guys think just to put arnold stuff aside as a hobby instead ?

If some hiring manager asks you, " What render did you use ?", what do you even say ? Should you really lie in front of him during an interview ? If you did lie and said you used v-ray, what happens if he starts to ask you specific questions on it ?

Am I the only one that sees a risk in putting arnold stuff into portfolios ?
is Offline  
Old 02-08-2013   #13
arcvs
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 40
Don't use arnold. Problem solved.
is Offline  
Old 02-08-2013   #14
jpenguin
Link(s):

if u work in a studio u could say ur studio has eval license. leaving water marks in ur render is kinda a good thing in this case... water marks can give impression that it legit, wasn't cracked.

other wise... i'd say i use vray brute force.
is Offline  
Old 04-06-2014   #15
Acido
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 14
Interesting topic, even if it's old enough; not only happens with Arnold, but with a lot of pay renderers out there.
I was asking myself the same question, and i think you don't need to mention anything in the reel, unless your employer ask you; make sure you ask first what renderer they used in the studio, so you know how to handle the situation telling them you use Vray, or MentalR.
is Offline  
Old 04-06-2014   #16
retry32
Thanks (Given): 280
Thanks (Received): 823
Just say you used Pov-Ray... :P
"Wow, amazing."
Old 04-06-2014   #17
muchograndes
Thanks (Given): 658
Thanks (Received): 328
i dont think its an issue. 95% of studios i've worked at ( western countries) have a folder on their server called "cracks" . ( they do buy the software when they use it for a project, but if they need another seat coz the project is due in 5 days, they don't worry about have a legal version at this exact moment...

most civil people won't even ask how or why. As long as you can produce the end result.

it's like anal sex. everybody does it, but its kinda taboo to talk about it in the office.
is Offline  
Old 04-07-2014   #18
erick3d
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 857
Ahah, kinda nuts stupid topic. or at the least requested by someone who doesn't know...

DO NOT ATTACH YOUR WORK TO A PARTICULAR SOFTWARE. PERIOD>
If they hire you BECAUSE YOU KNOW ARNOLD< it is sad, very very sad.

Good artists works on any pipeline, just a question of days to handle a new pipeline.

Dude, focus on your art, not the branding you use to do it.
is Offline