CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page Renderfarm on Amazon EC2 ?
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Old 01-22-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 5
Default Renderfarm on Amazon EC2 ?

Hi all,
Does any of you run a render Farm on EC2 ? I use C4D, and have a local little farm, but it's VERY limited... I've used render farm in the past, but it's always, the same problem: make sure all the plugins that you use are there too....

Right now i'm testing Rebus, but in the past I was very disappointed with there Mac software...

So my question is:
Can you install a cracked version of C4D on EC2.... and is it very dangerous ? Or maybe just Net Render.... since node will continue there task even if the server is cut.... hum....

So what do you think ? the price seam close, but it would be soooo much easier for managing....
is Offline  
Old 01-23-2012   #2
TheOracle
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 136
I once asked something similar

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 01-23-2012   #3
Element2k3
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 342
check this:
Link(s):

is Online  
Old 01-23-2012   #4
snoozy2
Original Poster
Ok, thanks all for the reply, I've already seen the Jud Pratt Video, and this is what gave me the idea, I'm pretty sure I can get it running.

MY QUESTION:
Will I have my ass sued to oblivion ?Amazon kind of know who I am.... [ Credit card ]
Are they monitoring there Virtual Machine I doubt it but.....

So my question is more along this line, then How to set it up....

(The oracle, Backburner seem to require that you update the IP in the XML, that what I read, but I don't use that software.... I'll try to setup a node in an hour)
is Offline  
Old 01-23-2012   #5
Element2k3
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 342
No clue....it's best if you ask amazon directly. If they say you are not allowed, google for cloud render farm...there are already a few ones available
is Online  
Old 01-23-2012   #6
snoozy2
Original Poster
For the Cloud Farm, they are great, but it's always the same problem, very few of them have many plugins (C4D) so, this [home] solution could have great potential.... As for asking Amazon.... hum.... I don't know....

But thanks for the answer.... I was thinking to install Net Render Client, since you can have as many node as you want legally
is Offline  
Old 01-23-2012   #7
magallanes
Thanks (Given): 188
Thanks (Received): 270
it is a nonsense.

Amazon EC2 machines are pretty low in CPU power. It is way cheapest to buy two or three pc with i3 and use it as a farm.

3 pc with i3 = $900
power bill = $20 x month.

total (a year) : $1140.

And later you can sell those i3 for $450, so the total price (selling the i3) is $640.

Amazon ec2.
monthly price = $10 (per instance aprox.) x 9 (instances) = $90

total (a year) = $1080.

Check this comparison betweem a EC2 micro and a Dell Mini 9

Link(s):

Last edited by magallanes; 01-23-2012 at 07:31 PM.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - CyberHOG thanked for this post
Old 01-24-2012   #8
snoozy2
Original Poster
Quick Update
First, it fucking Works !! I'll have to check with pricing, I've already spend 10$ to set it up, but now I have 2 nice AMI (Server+Client) That I can deploy super easily !!! As for the power, well of course the micro is low, but the High CPU seam ok....it's not a mega beast, but I mean with 1 click, I can create 10 of them and run them for an hour, that kill them.... I'll see if it's a viable solution, but being able to work in my dropbox with xRef, not having to bake anything, and simply start preview render with one simple virtual machine seam pretty sweet.... then you create the 10 instance
is Offline  
Old 01-24-2012   #9
waza
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 14
Hi snoozy2,

10$ to set up the system sound reasonable,
but I don't really understand the EC2 price in the rendering field (per instance, per hour, ).

Any feedback on price based on real project situation.
Thanks.
is Online  
Old 01-24-2012   #10
snoozy2
Original Poster
The 10$ WAS ME, my fucking time to set up the machine... it's actually quite simple (THANK Pratt) !!! as for real world, I've try to to render a project on one machine (was too tired, and nothing was working) so I made an instance of a HIGH CPU machine, and started Server & Client on the same machine. the machine calculated from 5 AM to 10 AM, and I had a bill of 26 $ (remember, I think it cost me close to 7-10 $ for the set up time). The render was at 20% so I killed it, and uploaded the same file to Rebus, it was done in about 25 min, and costed about 70 euro, but it got like stuck at 99% (had this problem before, don't know why, but I had to render 2-3 frame on my machine....)

I'm not sure if it's suitable for BIG render, but to kept a slave open, AND let it render the same file as I'm working seem great....

Basically, with EC2 you pay the minute the machine is up and running, doesn't matter what is does..... but it open all possibility for me, as I never really done RenderCow before.... or I never used thing like dpit or else, I was afraid to be stuck at the end, now I breath better
is Offline  
Old 01-24-2012   #11
waza
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 14
Hi snoozy2, thanks for feedback,
cloud rendering is coming with renderman, so it's time to keep an eyes on those services.
is Online  
Old 04-24-2012   #12
C. Slayden
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
We set up a few AMI's on EC2 machines, but for some reason we can't get them to network (clients won't speak to servers). Has anyone had any luck with this? We tried setting up a VPC (Virtual Private Cloud) but can't access the machines in the cloud. It's all very confusing, considering I'm not an IT person.

Anyway, anyone who has had luck with networking multiple EC2 virtual machines for a C4D render, please tell me how you did it!
is Offline  
Old 05-11-2012   #13
babysbreath
Thanks (Received): 1
Link(s):

Why not choose Fox render farm,you don't need to install any plug-ins. And their steps seem quite easy and convenient.
Look at their website: http://www.foxrenderfarm.com
is Offline  
Old 07-17-2013   #14
GeorgeNassef
Thanks (Received): 0
We have been using EC2 as a render farm for quite some time. It works best on the large compute instances and with our customer scripts---outside of the typical packages. We use Amazon SQS (Queue Services) to control the job queue and Amazon RDS for the work databases with S3 for storage of the videos.
is Offline