CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers Register FAQ IRC Chat
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page Is Renderman too technical for general artist to learn and use ?
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Sorry for the 17ish hours of downtime. A secondary wasn't renewed properly apparently.

Old 12-14-2012   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 25
Default Is Renderman too technical for general artist to learn and use ?

Is it like drag and drop mentalray with nodes and what not ?

I heard in renderman you have to code everything yourself.

Just wondering if there is a steep learning curve to use Renderman
is Offline  
Old 12-14-2012   #2
breeze1
Thanks (Given): 188
Thanks (Received): 244
Yup, renderman is targeted towards big studios with lots of programmers etc. You can try 3delight, which uses the same core, but other than that I'd probably go for something else.
is Offline  
Old 12-14-2012   #3
khaqsatellite
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 24
If you are using renderman studio then you have renderman for maya therefore you have Slim, the shading interface. A node based shading tool that works very similar to mayas hypergraph. I think you can get away with it for most common shaders. In any case from my experience renderman can produce a lot of headaches when you dont have the right people infront of it. In case you need to debug it you need to understang how ribs work and how they are structured. As for RSL its just like any programming language, so for very specific shaders you may need to code it yourself.
I think renderman pro server 17 has pre-built shaders that are handy for starting and theres is less setup work for raytracing.
is Offline  
Old 12-18-2012   #4
hd2028438
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Default 你好,新人

你好,新人
is Offline  
Old 12-18-2012   #5
Ichio
Thanks (Given): 5844
Thanks (Received): 3800
Link(s):

Please do respect the forum rules !
The only accepted forum language is ENGLISH !
Thank You !!!
is Online  
1 Thanks, 0 . - malka16 thanked for this post
Old 12-19-2012   #6
bnvm
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 8
It depends on how you define learn and use, with the newest version of Renderman Studio, for example, and the plausible system using renderman is quite easy and quick to learn. Out of the box it is no more difficult that V-Ray. Now if you really want to learn and use renderman in all of its glory it is very technical and takes along time to learn. Any of the renderman renderers are highly customizable and extendable, there are multiple workflows for every possible effect from pure raytracing to no raytracing which is one reason why it is the renderer of choice for massive feature film work.

The 2 big renderman solutions for maya will allow you to render most of Maya's materials out of the box and renderman studio as slim which is a shader builder mention above. It definately is annoying that everyone says you have to know how to code to use renderman, not true. You only need to code if you want to write your own custom shaders or to get the renderer to do something that the plugins don't allow you to do out of the box. Both 3Delight Studio and Renderman Studio are both out of the box, push button solutions.

I started learning it back in 2004 and I am still learning.

Last edited by bnvm; 12-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - Sirin111 thanked for this post
Old 12-20-2012   #7
sin_catcher
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
I always think renderman is for bigger studio who has many programers ,but maybe I am wrong.
is Offline  
Old 12-24-2012   #8
goovich
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Hey CGP dudes, renderman is extremely usable after learning RSL.
It is really amazing, you may write your OWN shader with lots of AOV so you can comp it later. Not only the AOV's do the magic work, but the renderman like renderer itself. It like learning to drive a F-1 sport car, or something like that.
I think renderman like renderers are not BIG studio oriented only, it also does good job for small studios same as for "1-man studio".
same as bnvm started learning and can't stop
is Offline