CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat Register FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page Sony Vegas Pro 11 Vs Edius 6 Vs Final Cut Pro 7 Vs Adobe Primire Pro CS5.5 Vs Avid
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Old 12-08-2011   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 15
Default Sony Vegas Pro 11 Vs Edius 6 Vs Final Cut Pro 7 Vs Adobe Primire Pro CS5.5 Vs Avid

I am looking for a complete feature and ability comparison between Sony Vegas Pro 11 , Adobe Primire CS5.5 , Edius 6, Final Cut pro 7 & Avid 6.

I am a long term vegas user . I also tried edius 5 (just a bit) and Adobe Primire CS5.5 . Even though i never get a chance to install Final Cut & Avid i have been watching tutorials on them for the last few months.

I think Sony Vegas is far more advanced in it's ability to all other softwares . With features such as Z depth, Track Motion, Event Pan/Crop , Ability to add effects to clip,track,output etc , A fully Featured masking tool , Full Compositting Modes , Parent Motion, Full fledged Audio system with 5.1 sarround mixer , And amazing Titling tools like New Blue Titler and Pro Type Titler, Sync link etc.

But i could not understand why the film/Hollywood Industry always goes with Final Cut/Adobe Primire/Avid ? I never heard about Vegas from any of the film People.

I think Final Cut is a Fantastic Editting Program . It's Interface is beautiful and intutive. But the editting in Primire/Final cut / Avid is complex and not easy. We need to connect between tracks to insert/overlap a clip to the timeline. Changing these connection is so time consuming . Look at Vegas , no connection no nothing . Just add tracks , and drag clips to anywhere anytime, so simple and easy.

You get all the slip,slide,multicam feature etc in vegas same as others but without no tools. You don't need a Razor Blade tool to cut in Vegas . Simple use of keyboars and a ripple edit feature.

Vegas got a fantastic ability to modifying effects & transitions . Each section is fully keyframable.

A fantastic level Envelope for each parameter Composition level, Transition level, Fade to color,Motion Blur, Video Super sampling,Mute,Volume,Pan etc . Modify even a transition movement.

The track motion feature and Z depth is far more advanced than other NLE's . Also with a Copositting Child Feature for parenting. Even creating a video cube in 3D space is simple in vegas.

A fantastic Masking tool . With these creating and Editting Film effects etc is easy with out a need for effects program lik AE

The audio tools , effects , mixer,mixing consol etc is far more advanced than in Primire etc. Since vegas was initially an audio program it has full audio capabilities(Except Midi Capabilities because of their on program Acid)

Sony Vegas = ( a Full Fledged Video Edittor + Fantastic Audio Edittor + 60% Adobe After Effects )

--------------------------------

I love all adobe Products except Primire and Audition. I use Vegas and Sound forge for the place of video and audio products of adobe.

I think the industry goes with primire since the production Premium can be purchased easily and has a lot of Interconnectivity.

Adobe got Much Exposure in the US market unlike Sony. This is why Vegas got less Film Industry support.

Another Advantage with Adobe is its vast Plugin support . This is also due to the exposure thing

---------------------------------------

I can't say about Avid . I know avid is favorite in film industry due to it's Media Management Capabilities which is far better than Final Cut or Primire or Vegas

-------------------------------

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Pls I Need Conters People . Pls Make this discussion LIVE
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - digimax thanked for this post
Old 12-08-2011   #2
proVee
Thanks (Given): 289
Thanks (Received): 650
It sounds more like you wanna sell Vegas or hear how good it is instead of having a comparison. The film industry doesn't always use those packages, actually a lot of movies were edited with an open source editing tool called Lightworks.

Link(s):

is Online  
4 Thanks, 0 . - tonsheritage, samnlove, de_profundis, plimployo thanked for this post
Old 12-08-2011   #3
aswindevpk
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 15
Link(s):

I tried that yesterday !! . Spend 3 hours with it . Interface looks fantastic. Looks good .
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - tonsheritage thanked for this post
Old 12-08-2011   #4
weiq
Thanks (Given): 466
Thanks (Received): 1719
yup Lightworks!

but damn they push back the alpha release... make me excited for nothing back at 29th last month

and yeah for Sony Vegas!
is Offline  
Old 12-08-2011   #5
masterj
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 234
its cuz theyve been used for longer than vegas and are now the standard. avid was the first btw thats why the BIG major film studios use it. you might wanna try it for yourself its way more advanced then the rest of the nle's, but you will need to learn it quite a bit (more complex you can say)
is Offline  
Old 12-08-2011   #6
stl
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 59
Comparing not only the ability to do, also the time that they existed to be considered. Sony Vegas came up lately comparing to others like Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Avid etc. By the time many plugins makers are targeting them(or they have a host of plugins available), but Sony Vegas is having few but powerful plugins compare to others.

People in Industry (ies) are having one of those or more, and have people who are expert using them, so do not easily change/swap their software packages. Therefore many in the industry do not use everything, but will sometime (may or may not) change/switched to Sony Vegas.

Though the short appearance in the Market, Sony Vegas is taking market, and gaining its popularity because its capability of handling files and its easy interface.

Sony Vegas is Best to my point of view.
is Offline  
Old 12-08-2011   #7
weiq
Thanks (Given): 466
Thanks (Received): 1719
i think the Sony Vegas line is more comfortable by home users (quite really say for Vegas Pro thgh.... for the professional working from home?)
is Offline  
Old 12-12-2011   #8
Bloke
Thanks (Given): 1933
Thanks (Received): 140
I edit myself around 20 hours a week every week, sometimes more, corporate events, weddings, dance concerts, football, funerals and numerouse other things that you wouldnt even think of, I tried Final Cut Pro, my problem with that was not enough addons.

After using PPro for many years now as my main video editing tool, mixed in with After Effects, and Encore for the DVD authoring, I must say you can achieve amazing results with the numerouse addon packages around for this product, many addons are what make alot of these products great, like Red Giant software for Adobe PP.

Sony Vegas I think is like what weiq said, more for home users, ya it has some good features, but you must remember that what you cannot achive in say Ppro, you can achieve in After Effects, the two go together, and is what makes Adobe a winner for most companies, and like I said, all the Addons.

The others listed, you would struggle finding any comapany that would spend money on making addons for their products, as they will not make money as its a limited user base.

Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro are the leaders in the Private business sectors

The big companies dont really use any of those products above, they use a variety of things, one being
Link(s):

I myself think PP is the superior product, just due to the amount of addons you can purchase for it.

is Offline  
Old 12-13-2011   #9
Cacho
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 116
For me, Pro software are the software to make money working with.

Sony Vegas are the best, many years ago (Sonic Foundry time) to the present.

Avid is a very old guy.

Premiere is a ugly and poor guy.

Edius is good but I don't like the interfase.

Final Cut not work in my PC.

Cacho
is Offline  
Old 12-13-2011   #10
plimployo
Thanks (Given): 244
Thanks (Received): 76
If you are looking for performance, this is my list:
1.Edius
2.Avid
3.Sony Vegas
4.Premiere.
is Offline  
Old 12-13-2011   #11
Bloke
Thanks (Given): 1933
Thanks (Received): 140
Link(s):

If you have latest Nvidea cards you can utilise CUDA with PP, personally 5.5 release I have had no issues with PP, earlier releases I was having crash after crash, I have had no crashes with 5.5 in 4 months belive it or not, miracle maybe, but working brilliantly at present.

More so it comes down to what you tried and liked first, many people will not change, as they come familiar with the one they started with and find they can do anything and everything any of the video editing programs offer, or if you are clever you can replicate features others may have that are not "Auto drag and drop features", except maybe Sony Vegas.

knowing all the shorcuts in the program you use also helps speed wise in editing, but when it comes to rendering/exporting your project, every software program will usually be limited to the end user's computer specs, I know that PP relies heavy on memory, but if you have enough to cover what it wants, its fast.

I might try a compasison oneday on a video clip to render out in each program and what quality is like as well, would be a good little test.

Cheers
is Offline  
Old 12-13-2011   #12
mark10
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 13
I've tried many but for me Edius stands out -very stable and faster rendering. I go to vegas when I want to mix audio.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - felpudito thanked for this post
Old 12-13-2011   #13
felpudito
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 26
Link(s):

Only who really used know Edius make the things easier, the interface is so friendly that is a bit hard to understand for who dont use it usually.
Link(s):

yes, but vegas is the fastest....
is Offline  
Old 12-16-2011   #14
barbados
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 13
I have start editing since Amiga. I have edit with : Fast Video machine, Razor, Liquid, Premiere, Edius, Symphony etc. I like Edius but Adobe + After Effects + a lot of serious plugin makers are strong players in the arena.

The best editor i have use was Blue from Fast !
is Offline  
Old 12-16-2011   #15
ogjk941uty
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
I have start editing since Amiga. I have edit with : Fast Video machine, Razor, Liquid, Premiere, Edius, Symphony etc. I like Edius but Adobe + After Effects + a lot of serious plugin makers are strong players in the arena
Link(s):

Link(s):

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 12-16-2011   #16
ulisses
Thanks (Given): 348
Thanks (Received): 79
Attencion everyone, new update for Sony Vegas Pro 11 Build 510/511 at sony website...fix a lot of issues...
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - aswindevpk thanked for this post
Old 12-17-2011   #17
vanticano
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Default Vegas Pro and PPr

I started video editing with Vegas pro 6, then 7, 8, 9, 10. Along the way I learn Adobe and since CS4 I shift my work into PPr.
Why?
1. Cause PPr works so well with other Adobe's applications. When I need some nice motion design, I can easily use AE and put it right into PPr. When I need to do something cool with the pics I can use photoshop and put it right into PPr or AE also.
2. PPr in particular and Adobe CS suite as a whole have tons of plugins .I'm addicted to plugins too. RegGiant's product is my favorite. Boris is nice also. I also like Newblue which works best with Sony Vegas that I still do.

My best combination: AE, Encore, Photoshop and PPr. I believe this combination wins the speed for a project overall. Even though I like Vegas Pro for it simplicity, clarity or friendly of the interface. Oh, One thing that I don't like Vegas Pro that when you use media files to edit it creates additional files for the project in the same folder as the index. Adobe won't do. That's the best. My musics and pictures folders are not modified by Adobe.
Last few months I spend time to learn Avid's MC, DS. DS seems not for me, it sucks your hard disk. I'm hesitate to put my product through MC yet.
I still use both Vegas but mostly with PPr and Adobe's app.
For me PPr WINS.
is Offline  
Old 12-27-2011   #18
ptr1aa
Thanks (Given): 2
Someones winner might be someone elses loser.
Each editor has it's strenghts , some are simple and fast , some are suited for complex projects , some just suck and some need to be learned for breaking into a field like getting a job in television ( final cut pro ).
For me as a wedding cameraman i love sony vegas , my style doesn't involve effects or fancy stuff ( wich usually begginers use because they lack camera technique ) , so i need something fast wich sony vegas pro is more than adequate.
I wouldn't call vegas pro as a home user NLE , it's quite advanced in what it can do and can match premiere pro , with a better sound manipulation and better interface , now it's even faster with the GPU support wich works ( version 11 ) , so productivity wise vegas pro 11 is light years ahead of premiere pro.
But , if you need after effects you will probably ditch vegas pro , the bridge bettwen premiere and after effects makes other programs not worth the trouble.
Adobe's strenght comes as a whole and not as a single software , if premiere pro didn't had after effects then it would've been one of those overly complicated NLE's that required 10 steps for a thing you could do with a single click in other NLE's , but complex projects based on special cinema effects needs adobe.
is Offline  
Old 01-09-2012   #19
eviva
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 4
The best tools in editing are in Media Composer.

Vegas can handle even RED files better than any other NLE but is missing things like motion tracking
and the Title creating isn't very good.

Premiere has the best plugin support.

I can switch and work from the one to the other easily but the most reliable NLE is Media Composer.

If they could combine the three it would be the best but that's not gonna happen.
is Offline  
Old 01-11-2012   #20
fiddler2068
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Link(s):

Clearly, you do not know how to use Adobe After Effects. 60%?!? in Sony's dreams maybe.

For the home used and non-film user, Vegas is a great program for editing. Try keeping track of thousands of clips with multiple versions of the same clips with Vegas. Then try to do motion tracking and serious color correction with it.

Its marketed the home market for a reason, there is no need for the home user to have to deal with complexity, whereas a film maker has different requirements. Simplicity of use is not the only criteria.
is Offline  
Old 01-12-2012   #21
silicman
Thanks (Given): 125
wow, another thought, back to the old days, why VHS won over BETA and why Blueray over HD DVD? I dunno. I think it's the same as Vegas VS other NLE. I'm going to learn Vegas in some next days. cheer!
is Offline  
Old 01-12-2012   #22
sachem
Thanks (Received): 2
I am coming from speed razor and i tried some editor but for me edius is the best
is Offline  
Old 01-13-2012   #23
Kovaldas
Thanks (Given): 3
Link(s):

Would like to elaborate what are tools in Media Composer that other NLEs are missing?

I think Avid is a bit of a niche-thing, designed for working on big projects in a studio environment, where horrible UI doesn't matter, because the editors have been using it for ages. I have no doubt it's powerful, but I think its madness to use it for small-scale operation.
is Offline  
Old 01-14-2012   #24
abiddine
Thanks (Received): 11
1-Avid
2-Premier

others, i never tried.
is Offline  
Old 01-14-2012   #25
Ninini
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 7
"Avid is a very old guy"

.- And the all of the others are "Young"?

OH, Please!!!

ALL of them have been around for at least 12 years.

Premiere is as old as Avid.

FCP (a clone of Premiere) has had the same interface since version 1.

Did you know that the same guy who developed Premiere (Randy Ubillos) made FCP?

Avid is the undisputed #1 and , believe me, is not because of "Tradition"

Is not perfect, but is the most powerful and has amazing tools NO ONE ELSE has. But has to be used in a heavy duty professional, collaborative and fast turnaround work enviroment to be appreciated.

For home users, freelancers and Solo work, especially when time and long term complexity is not an issue, ANY NLE will do fine.

"Would like to elaborate what are tools in Media Composer that other NLEs are missing?"

.- That's to long and complex to be explained in few and simple words.

Why don't you dig in an Avid Forum or, even better, download the demo and a look for yourself.

Last edited by Ninini; 01-14-2012 at 04:47 PM.
is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #26
Cacho
Avid is the first success non linear editor. Media corporation invest thousand dollars in Avid. Can't change. Their employees are trained in Avid. Can't change. Go with Avid.

This is the reason for Avid supervivence.

If you are freelancer, forget Avid. Is old, ugly, heavy. Sony Vegas and Edius are for you. For audio tools, only Vegas.

Cacho
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - ulisses thanked for this post
Old 01-15-2012   #27
Ninini
If you are freelancer, forget Avid. Is old, ugly, heavy. Sony Vegas and Edius are for you. For audio tools, only Vegas.

OH, Yes, if you are NOT a professional, forget Avid, too difficult for you.

For Audio tools (and especially if you don't want a good job), Vegas.

Avid Protools is also too old and cumbersome, only 99% of of the pro market uses this outdated POS.

Last edited by Ninini; 01-15-2012 at 06:14 AM.
is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #28
hanson510
Thanks (Given): 265
Thanks (Received): 32
Sony vegas would like final cut pro x,They feature a more complete,But difficult to use in a standard workflow,No EDL AAF interface with other software, etc.Unable to complete the production of large-scale projects.They just personal editing tools for quick and easy.
is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #29
Unknownheavens
Thanks (Given): 170
Thanks (Received): 25
ive been telling the fckin sony to add motiontracking features. I guess they dun listen and I thought the industry uses fcp a lot??
is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #30
Kovaldas
Link(s):

I have worked with AMC on a few projects, I do know what it's like. I didn't see any tools that were absent in other respectable NLEs. There might be some, I'm not saying there aren't, but I have no idea why everyone is so hush-hush about them. Can't say in a few words? Well you could use a couple of sentences or paragraphs maybe? Or refer me to an article?

Also, the whole "if you don't work with avid you are not a professional" attitude is quite annoying. At the end of the day, your software is just a tool. The important part is what you do with it, what you use it for and how good is your work. You wouldn't say someone is a bad writer because they don't use Microsoft Word and prefer to write by hand.

Lastly, please don't write everything in italics, it makes it harder to read.

Last edited by Kovaldas; 01-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 . - nguyenbahuy, ulisses thanked for this post
Old 01-15-2012   #31
Cacho
Millions of fly eat shit...

Old paradigm: line produccion (Fordism): first edit image, then audio. This is necessary for celluliod film, not for digital era.

Forget the Avid-Protools duo. It's conceptually old.

I need cut the image, then cut the audio, go back to image, and again. This work fine with Vegas. No change program back and for.

None audiovisual piece tell us wath editor program makes him.

The editor (man or woman) is important. The soft is irrelevant. Is a tool. Work with the tool that makes you work comfortable.

Sorry for the english

Cacho
is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #32
hellobyejerk
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 165
Cacho Damm man now that to the darn point and amusing funny.
But I'm gonna keep it 100% w/you I don't like any Sony products.
Old 01-15-2012   #33
eviva
Link(s):

I am freelancer and I work for TV channels and privates also and I use mainly Avid.

There are tools that are no where else.

ProTools is used from almost any studio that is in serious business for ages.

More than 90% are using it. Do not say things like that.

is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #34
Ninini
"Also, the whole "if you don't work with avid you are not a professional" attitude is quite annoying"

.- THAT was exactly the idea!! And it wasn't directed specifically to you, but to the bunch of uninformed newbies around here.
100% Pure sarcasm.

I hate when someone who has obviously NEVER BEEN in front of an Avid, or has never explore its potential, someone who has never been working in a big production house or a TV network doing complex collaborative work with INSANE deadlines, gives a uninformed opinion.

If someone likes Vegas, FCP, Windows Movie Maker, Moviola or a pair of Scissors, that's fine. You can make great things with ANYTHING.

But don't make derisive comments one of them just because you like what you use.

What has Avid that no one else has?

AMA (mount and work, no import, no capture), Rock solid TRUE media management, full Tracking, The "Yellow arrow" tool, the amazing ANIMATTE effect, PAINT, Full interface customization (not only the Keyboard Shortcuts), ability to make edits and put effects on the "Filler" (the empty "black" layers of the timeline), Full collaborative workflow (Several editors working on the very same project simultaneously), Ability to map anything anywhere, FULL support of OMF, ALE, AAF, and any EDL of any kind, and a long etc.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Link(s):

.- I think you didn't get my IRONY and SARCASM.

Protools is the standard of the industry, the undisputable #1, followed distantly by NUENDO.

BTW, Protools is even older than Avid MC.

"Forget the Avid-Protools duo. It's conceptually old"

.-
I've never been in any professional audio post production facility of any size, in the past or present (and I've been in many) in where any DAW other than Protools is used.

Or, in rare cases, Nuendo.

The problem is that you think AVID MC and Protools haven't evolved since the 90s.

Is evident you know nothing, Zero, squat about AVID or Protools. Or what's happening in the pro market.

But that's not bad.

What's wrong is to make uninformed comments about something you obviously don't have the slightest idea.

Last edited by Ninini; 01-15-2012 at 11:13 PM.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 . - battle, Kovaldas thanked for this post
Old 01-15-2012   #35
corbetnome
Thanks (Given): 224
Thanks (Received): 75
Default A question on Avid

If you divorce Avid from its hardware (turnkey systems) is it still the preferred tool to use?

Using it at home, I find myself fighting Avid's limitations on importing video and its truly cumbersome tools for import conversion. It seems to hate 90% of the video I throw at it.

Given that first impression, I've always wondered if I should continue to study Avid? Watching the fxphd editing course suggests that Avid is a dream come true. But continuing with Avid is an still an open question for me which is why the discussion here is fascinating.

Premiere has improved considerably over the years especially in the area of import and export formats, and I would choose it over Edius hands down. Vegas - can't say. People seem very happy with it but I am leery about giving up Premiere for it.

Still, I am interested in Avid if I can understand this problem Avid has (or I have) with video it does not like.
is Offline  
Old 01-15-2012   #36
Ninini
If you divorce Avid from its hardware (turnkey systems) is it still the preferred tool to use?

.- Avid Turnkey?

Where have you been, man??

Avid has been software only for several years (Since Xpress and MC ver 3, and they are now on Ver 6).

From version 5 Avid has supported AJA IO express and Matrox Mini and from version 6 it uses ANY capture card (Blackmagic, Matrox, AJA, Bluefish, MOTU and, of course, Avid hardware)

Last but no least, Simphony is now software only.

For RED, XDCAM (all Flavors), DVCPRO (Any), Canon, GFCAM, and ALL the new file formats, you don't need any hardware. neither importing.

Using it at home, I find myself fighting Avid's limitations on importing video and its truly cumbersome tools for import conversion. It seems to hate 90% of the video I throw at it.

.-
Importing video??? Are you sure is an Avid what you have?

If that's the case.

From which century??

Is either you have a very, VERY old version, you're trying to work with Delivery formats (FLV, OGG. etc) or, simply, you don't know how to use it.

Last edited by Ninini; 01-16-2012 at 12:22 AM.
is Offline  
Old 01-16-2012   #37
corbetnome
Thanks (Given): 224
Thanks (Received): 75
Hi, Ninini. It's late here so lets start with your last statement about Symphony 6 as a software only product. Obviously Avid likes to sell Symphony with hardware since their recommended hardware options include: 1. Video: Nitris DX, Mojo DX 2. Audio Pro HD/Native, Mbox various 3. Various Artist control panels.

My question could then be better stated this way: could a home user without this hardware or capture card put Avid to good use in the same way they would with Vegas or Premiere? Would it be worth learning Symphony in that context? That's what I'm hoping you will answer. I'm never going pro but I am still curious if Symphony is a better tool in regards to workflow.

As to the various formats, obviously I'm not going to being using Red or the new Canon cameras. Rather, I am interested in using non-camera video sources. There I struggle with Symphony and hesitate because it could be that as Symphony/Composer is targeted to professional film/tv/commerical work, it is simply not the right product for home use. This I do not know and thus must ask. Hope you don't mind answering.
is Offline  
Old 01-16-2012   #38
hellobyejerk
Snd like you need alots high-END gears to run Avid properly man I'm glad I only mess around w/the
sister branch of that company software end. I worked with a older ver of Nuendo before it's worked
quite well.
Old 01-19-2012   #39
eviva
Nope.

This is not correct.

I use only software.

It runs smoothly and fast.
is Offline  
Old 01-19-2012   #40
leonbeas
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 22
Link(s):

I there all amazing topic.

For me working in post production for 12 years and tried all platforms and formats.
Avid without hardware is a no go for fast work you have to transcode everything and it takes too much time.
Have you tried to transcode one hour hdv material to avid? Impossible its like capturing twice just a little bit more slow.
As for reliability and stability no other NLE comes even closer to Avid, so its good but heavy and slow.
For those o say it isn't or have hardware or haven't tried anything else.

FCP is completely outdated it was a very very nice software 4 years ago. incompatibility and speed issues says it all.
now and after using premiere or vegas is like grabbing an old cell phone that weights like a kilo and doesn't do the same as an iphone that is lot more practical and new.

Premiere is limited its true, don't do text well or compose right, don't use images in it, it sucks with high resolution jpg`s for that there is after (impossible to beat). But when used for cut and edit footage with Mercury playback engine hardware enabled ( any cheap nvidia card) no other NLE can even get near that speed and versatility, all formats and frames and sizes mixed together in the same timeline renders faster than real time, (in some codecs only).

As for Vegas and Edius i have them installed several times many versions they are light and fast, but i keep deleting them because all the job can be professionally done in ADOBE, even though for DVD authoring i mostly use Sony DVD architect, the most fast and professional to use for me. Encore is to slow for fast projects.

Its like cameras, each for each job.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - corbetnome thanked for this post
Old 01-20-2012   #41
hellobyejerk
I'd guess I had proving my points then... well maybe not.
Old 01-20-2012   #42
masterj
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 234
vegas is 60% after effects? please mr. 10 year old, you havent gone to the advanced parts of after effects, you are probably just making cloning videos, green screen gun shooting amateaur head blowing off blood flying videos. vegas is good, but to say its 60% after effects is just pure ignorance.
is Offline  
Old 01-25-2012   #43
effajudge
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 100
People in the industry use Sony Vegas too.
It is used primarily for music videos, advertisements and documentaries that run shorter than the average length of a movie.
is Offline  
Old 02-02-2012   #44
ushere
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 2
horses for courses... i started editing with dynatech's emc (well BEFORE avid!), and have used nearly every nle made since then. if you want to work professionally then you need to know avid, fcp, and probably ppro. all other nle's are niche market. i use vegas for my own projects, but it's a very 'indie' kind of editor, NO edl, no collaborative tools, you're on your own, which for an indie producer isn't a bad thing. true, it's not after effects, but it's rare that i can't produce something within vegas to satisfy my / my clients needs. version 11 is proving somewhat problematic for a great many people, it's been ok so far for me, but i'm looking at edius as a backup just in case. as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it's the editor NOT the nle that's important - i've seen some pretty amazing stuff cut by my students on mm2, and some horrendous video clips put together with discrete's flame....
is Offline  
Old 02-03-2012   #45
hellobyejerk
pls Elaborate a lil'bit more content on why oh Phony Vegasİ doesn't suck.
Old 02-14-2012   #46
Twoflower
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 9
Well, I've edited on AVID of various ages and flavours, Premiere of various ages, Vegas, and played with FCP - to be honest, each has good points and bad points, although if you are raised on AVID, FCP is confusing, a bit like knowing how to speak Spanish and trying to communicate in Portuguese - there are similarities, but a lot is different. For my money, AVID remains best, even on software only systems, but you need to use a 64 bit os and a good size of memory (and the correct graphics card) - Premiere's latest iteration is very impressive and fast. The reason Vegas doesn't make huge inroads into the professional world is summed up by a Sony person I spoke to at a trade show a while back:" Sony doesn't want to get into the software game at this end - it is more of a side thing, something to help us show off our cameras and ideas than anything else - but the people paid to work on it's development take a great pride in making it a competitive system, just Sony won't put anything into pushing it..." Use the editor you like most, for me, it is SGI's film editor (long since gone, alas) - it felt like handling film yet had features nearly fifteen years ago that most NLEs today would be green with envy over. Alas, the old O2 is up in the attic, and a monster Intel box sits under my desk, and AVID does the job I need it to do very nicely, thank you.
is Offline  
Old 03-06-2012   #47
naty
Thanks (Received): 1
I've used Avid, Premiere and now I'm using Vegas. I think Vegas is the fastest...

Vegas EDIT DURING PLAYING and PLAY DURING EDITING... no editing software do this and this is awesome...

BUT (there's always a but) the quality of output in Vegas it's poor. Avid is the KING in output quality, but it's like a tank.... very slow.

Comparing Premiere with Vegas, I think Premiere is slower than Vegas but a little bit sharper in output quality.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 . - tonsheritage thanked for this post
Old 03-06-2012   #48
Cacho
naty: about the poor quality of Vegas render, in wich format? Tell us the camera format and the export format.

Maybe is your fault in the settings.

Here, the quality is superb with Vegas.

Cacho
is Offline  
Old 03-07-2012   #49
mike0130
Ok, my opinion- Avid slow and supid, the quality of ouput is the same on all systems! FCP- very slow, FCP-X, better, allmost good, Premiere, especially 5,5- very good, Vegas- total garbage, good for sound edit, but look and feel terrible bad and "made for grandmother", Edius is THE KING! FASTEST edit software on the planet. Edit everything, no rendering in 99% cases, can do the same as all the others.
is Offline  
Old 03-07-2012   #50
naty
Thanks (Received): 1
Rendering the same clip in Premiere and Vegas with the same output format (mpeg2, mp4 or wmv) with the same settings, in the same computer, the quality in render is not the same. When you render in Premiere the colors are sharper then in Vegas.

Color correction in Vegas is not very professional for color correction I use Avid, or Premiere. Sony Vegas is the fastest editing software, I use it often in small projects, but for commercials I use Avid and Premiere.
is Offline