CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers Register FAQ IRC Chat
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page Sony Vegas Pro 11 Vs Edius 6 Vs Final Cut Pro 7 Vs Adobe Primire Pro CS5.5 Vs Avid
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Old 03-07-2012   #51
mike0130
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Ok, my opinion- Avid slow and supid, the quality of ouput is the same on all systems! FCP- very slow, FCP-X, better, allmost good, Premiere, especially 5,5- very good, Vegas- total garbage, good for sound edit, but look and feel terrible bad and "made for grandmother", Edius is THE KING! FASTEST edit software on the planet. Edit everything, no rendering in 99% cases, can do the same as all the others.
is Offline  
Old 03-07-2012   #52
naty
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Rendering the same clip in Premiere and Vegas with the same output format (mpeg2, mp4 or wmv) with the same settings, in the same computer, the quality in render is not the same. When you render in Premiere the colors are sharper then in Vegas.

Color correction in Vegas is not very professional for color correction I use Avid, or Premiere. Sony Vegas is the fastest editing software, I use it often in small projects, but for commercials I use Avid and Premiere.
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #53
dreammaker
Thanks (Given): 2
Just mike0130 said
If you are into speedy editing nothing matches with EDIUS.Other software not even close.You can edit hours of video without extra effort with extreme speed
If you are into complex projects with a lots of video layer ,color correction, complicated effects etc... and you have lots of TIME you can use Premiere or FCP or Avid.

Vegas is not a pro choice for editing: "Sony Vegas is the fastest editing software" WRONG .Vegas is like a little bit of this a little bit of that.(I mean 70% editor 30% compositor with easy interface)

Premiere is a good choice for short and complex projects.Its power comes from the seamless integration with other Adobe programs like AfterEffects , Photoshop etc... impossible is nothing with this Adobe pack

FCP is king on macs

...aaand Avid what can I say... old brother Avid is like a big Truck. it really sucks computers resources.it also pro in editing.slow and powerful but oldfashioned.hundreds of settings to do.Love it or hate it style software
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #54
Ninini
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 7
AVID Old and Slow... yeah, right... too much settings...

What a bunch of ignorant amateurs.

Well, It's evident they don't make a living in post-production.

And, most likely, they won't.

"Eight out of the nine films nominated for best picture used Avid audio or video solutions."

"Producers and engineers using Avid's audio solutions took home awards for Record and Song of the Year, as well as Producer of the Year, Best New Artist, and Pop, Alternative, R&B, Rap, Dance and Country Albums of the Year. Honored albums powered by Avid’s Pro Tools included Adele's 21, Kanye West's My Dark Twisted Fantasy, Chris Brown's F.A.M.E., Lady Antebellum's Own the Night and Bon Iver's Bon Iver."

"Kevin Tent, Editor A.C.E., who received an ACE Eddie Award (Best Edited Feature Film - Dramatic) and an Oscar nomination (Film Editing) for his work on The Descendants, said, “I've been using Avidsince 1996. Avid Media Composer is the most amazing tool an editor can ask for and it keeps getting better and better. We used ScriptSyncfor the very first time on The Descendants and it was genius. Media Composer? I won't leave home without it.

Wow!! Editors at Hollywood must be masochists using the slow and stupid Avid
is Offline  
3 Thanks, 0 . - Josekenshin, plimployo, battle thanked for this post
Old 03-08-2012   #55
Cacho
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 116
@naty. Not in my case. Insist: the settings are fundamental for the correct result.

In Vegas, with MagicBullet you have one tool very pro.

Cacho
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #56
mintfxp@hotmail.com
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Avid is a serious professional editing tool. I'm a professional video editor who cuts mainly commercials and long format television shows. I work 50+ hours a week exclusively in post production. I've used Media 100, Discreet *Edit, Final Cut Pro, Avid (both MC and Symphony) and Avid stands out by far. It is not something that can be just learned in one sitting, you need to make a dedicated effort and devote the proper amount of time to it. Once you invest the time to properly learn how to use the software, learning other NLEs (like FCP) is relatively easy... it took me less than a day to be editing at almost full speed in FCP.

As well as the NLE itself, Avid also offers ISIS which is a godsend when you're working with a few editors on a tight deadlines to deliver a show. In my experience ISIS is much more solid than working with an XSAN based server.

One last thing is the hourly rate difference between a Final Cut and Avid Editor... You'll make way more by knowing and marketing yourself as an Avid Editor. If you're cutting wedding videos/corporate stuff, etc... then I'm sure the higher end consumer stuff is more than enough. Kinda of like how you can be a pilot, but there's a huge difference between a Cessna pilot and a Boeing pilot!

Just my .02! As the end of the day, these are all tools, and some are simply better than others...
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #57
Cacho
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 116
Avid is the right tool for employees. Vegas is the right tool for self editor's.

Cacho
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #58
dreammaker
I work 50+ hours a week as video editor in a Tv channel too.If you just EDIT (I mean mostly cutting video seq. and overlapping 3 or 4 video layers with some titles) EDIUS is the fastest solution.I tried most of them but nothing matches its ease of use and performance.
All our camera raw materials are 1920x1080i full hd MP4 files. Sometimes I have to edit gigabytes of files directly over network (gigabit network) and EDIUS works like a charm.

Besides Avid is absolutely professional tool in editing. and its not for just editing, color correction, full project based approach,
lots of pro features and handling complex projects its specialty.

As you said: " You'll make way more by knowing and marketing yourself as an Avid Editor " This is the main reason why most people choose Avid.
Avid makes its own reputation over 25 years in video biz.(established 1987).The others are only be its grandchilds.
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #59
ptr1aa
Thanks (Received): 3
I don't think people who post here about avid , final cut and edius tried the latest updates of vegas or premiere to judge how fast they are now.
Vegas 11 is full on GPU accelerated and quite good , it hits 70-80% gpu usage on my gtx560 wich is a lot , i edit AVCHD with no slow down at all , put effects , pan crop , white balance , transitions (from vegas ) no slow down at all , how faster should it be ? probably with RED footage could be slower but i can't test this.
Also rendering files are also GPU accelerated , from mpg to mp4 , we all know what benefit this brings , again 50-70% gpu usage depending on format and effects used.
Vegas 10 and older versions are many many times slower than vegas 11 , if you guys tried vegas in the no GPU days i can get why you say edius is faster ( having dedicated boards for video acceleration and exporting ).
Also premiere pro is the same as vegas , the NLE is not a limiting factor anymore cause it's slow or you need expensive hardware , they are very fast compared to one generation ago ( cs4 , vegas 10 ).
is Offline  
Old 03-08-2012   #60
BiggBirdd
Thanks (Given): 354
Thanks (Received): 4116
Actually Vegas 11 works best riding in a Chevy drinking a Coke.

Last edited by BiggBirdd; 03-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.
is Offline  
Old 03-09-2012   #61
ptr1aa
I know BiggBirdd , these vegas users sound like a pack of fanboys ready to be picked on and made fun of them , it's just that we discovered how easy is to do things now with a better aproach to user interface ( apple found that too when they copied vegas , check final cut pro X ).
is Offline  
Old 05-09-2012   #62
battle
Thanks (Given): 190
Thanks (Received): 13
Link(s):

Well, then we can say that Vegas copied iMovie!! LOL
Somebody here wrote that no other NLE can edit during playback! Wrong! FCP X can!
And now my opinion. If you want professional tools use Avid and FCP 7, FCP X in a less than one year since now. I can see a little aproch of Premiere CS6 in the pro market.
is Offline  
Old 05-09-2012   #63
bardos
Thanks (Received): 61
Grassvalley Edius is great as well....edits RED, and any format you throw at it....all in real time...and now, 6.5, for 3D movies
is Offline  
Old 05-09-2012   #64
wellslls
Thanks (Given): 5
There is too, a program editor called "Nuke" and "NukeX"(this, with aditional plugins) from the company "The Foundry", who actually own the plugin "Keylight" that's integrated to After Effects. This company has only top plugin and programs. Check that out :
Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 05-10-2012   #65
battle
Link(s):

Nuke is a Compositing tool, not an NLE!
You would rather be saying Smoke but Smoke it's the hardest one to learn! A new whole system.
Oh, and there's Lightworks too, just for windows at the moment, sadly…
is Offline  
Old 05-10-2012   #66
wellslls
Link(s):

What's NLE? I'm a little (to not say very) lay in these terms.
is Offline  
Old 05-10-2012   #67
battle
Link(s):

Non Linear Editor! Do you have access to Google, Yahoo, Bing or Wikipedia?!
is Offline  
Old 06-07-2012   #68
ptr1aa
Link(s):

And they say Steve Jobs invented the earth, not to say he wasn't a great mind of our times but he breed a huge fanboy base that defend the "brand" with their life.
It doesn't matter what NLE you think it's the best, it's the one you like and serves your needs that is the best NLE.
And what is that that FCP X can edit during playback ? almost all modern NLE's if not all can edit during playback, all use GPU's now and at least quad cores, they edit in realtime h.264 and some can do it with effects/color corections applied and still go real time, so wth are we talking about here ? there is nothing in the MAC camp that can't be done in the windows PC camp, no matter what apple told you fanboys, they lied .
is Offline  
Old 06-07-2012   #69
battle
Link(s):

I'm talking about professional tools (NLE)!!! Of course you can use what best fits for your job… You can either create a logotype on MS Word, it's up to you…
is Offline  
Old 06-08-2012   #70
vjorchid
Thanks (Given): 162
Thanks (Received): 106
SONY HAVE will & grace and its better!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link(s):

now...sony users...have plugins like sapphire,3d titles from newblue...etc.....i dont need after effects....
if i need effects...i got to CINEMA 4D...

Color correction final and looks? magic bulet...

thats it!
is Offline  
Old 01-07-2013   #71
andrucha
Thanks (Received): 17
Link(s):

AMA is a piece of shxxx
You paint a dot in AVID and it needs to render it- joke
Media management is the only good thing in AVID.
is Offline  
Old 01-08-2013   #72
mike0130
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Stupid topic. What do you prefere: Flat screwdriver or phillips one? This will depend on the job you are doing, isn't it?
is Offline  
Old 01-08-2013   #73
tmsrinivas
Thanks (Given): 77
Thanks (Received): 9
Yes Sony Vegas Full Fledged Video Edittor...
Boris effects working well
is Offline  
Old 01-08-2013   #74
battle
Link(s):

Non So Linear like that!! :P
I think that there's no point in making a comparison between 2 different OSs unless he's about to buy a new machine! And there's FCP X and Lightworks too.
is Offline  
Old 01-08-2013   #75
vjorchid
Thanks (Given): 162
Thanks (Received): 106
only i use vegas in the start beacouse no need to change in another video editor...

and i think people who try to many soft...beacouse those soft arent good
is Offline