Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > Off-Topic Discussion
Reload this Page Need some advice regarding torrents
Off-Topic Discussion Freely chit-chat about anything

Old 03-18-2017, 05:41:18 PM   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 254
Question Need some advice regarding torrents

Well, recently I finished building my new PC. Now that I have this beast of a workstation it was time to leave the east coast (the old PC). But soon I stumbled across a problem. So I've got a large amount of CG and Unity3D-related files I'd like to keep, but not on my previous HDD if possible.

I looked around and concluded that storing all the files on a file-hosting website isn't a suitable option. I'm just afraid that they'll be deleted or eventually my account will be shut down since many of them are paid assets.

A bit later I came across the idea about setting up torrents. Now I know that there a bunch of guys somewhere around here, who should be able to give me some advice. I was thinking about storing all my files into a torrent (since a .torrent is very tiny) and yes, I don't know how.

So here comes the final question: Would anybody be able to tell me how to build/setup (or whatever it's called) a torrent by importing my own files?
is Online  
Old 03-18-2017, 06:26:53 PM   #2
wolfgame
Link(s):

In your torrent client eg.uTorrent you have the option to make a torrent but it is only the address to your files that still have to be on your computer while enough people download to their computers and then they become part of your torrent file.
Therefore torrent files can not be reduced its more real link to the files which when ( your torrent file ) uploaded to a server, eg. "cgpeers" allows to torrent clients eg.utorrent; Bittorrent and so on, to download this torrent file from your computer directly without the need for you to upload any file on a specific server.

So torrent files can not be reduced ( can be reduced your files "compressed" with "win rar" or so but torrent itself no )

eg.uTorrent to make torrent from your files : Open uTorrent then go to File-Create New Torrent... ( CTRL+N ) click on Add files or Add Directory and select the files you want in your new torrent file - In torrent properties you add trackers eg.
Link(s):

then click on create and upload this torrent file to cgpeers

Last edited by wolfgame; 03-18-2017 at 06:44:05 PM.
is Offline  
Old 03-18-2017, 06:45:13 PM   #3
Seezar
Thanks (Given): 203
Thanks (Received): 109
Torrent files are only links to the original real files in your computer ,
Buy an external harddisk case and put your old hardisk inside so you can access the files by connecting it to your new pc by usb cable.
If you want to store them online without risk on any cloud service just compress them with winrar using password encryption .
Old 03-18-2017, 08:01:36 PM   #4
xVaQuem
Original Poster
Hmmm, this is a bit tricky. I mean... thank you guys for explaining everything so well but I'm not quite sure what to do next.
It would be a shame if I'd just say goodbye to all these files. Some are even nowhere to be found, some are worth money. I'm not even kidding right now.

It's frustrating and I think I've looked almost any option. The best solution would be to store it anywhere else but without having it physically on my own External HDD.
Isn't there just any possible way to this?

In other words: I'm stuck and I kind of understood the whole torrent stuff wrong, partly. It's just not how I saw it. That must be the reason why everyone is saying pls seed lol.

---------- Post added at 01:01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58:49 PM ----------

Link(s):

I suppose I should call that file lolsona's photo album 2016 or something? XD
Unfortunately, Mega file-hosting isn't that friendly as it was in the beginning. They know what we're up to.
is Online  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17:46 PM   #5
M
Thanks (Given): 467
Thanks (Received): 1325
Link(s):

Not really sure what you're worried about here. File hosting sites only delete files if they're reported.
Are you planning to report yourself?

As long as you don't share the links with anyone, you're safe.
Also, for added peace of mind, check the files as "private" if the site allows it.

All members are encouraged to REPORT any rule violations.
is Offline  
Old 03-19-2017, 03:54:17 AM   #6
Seezar
Thanks (Given): 203
Thanks (Received): 109
Link(s):

Call them whatever you want but not grabbing attention names .
Make sure the cloud service you use will not delete your files after time.
Copy the most important files to your new pc so if they get deleted from the cloud you will not lose them forever.
If you want my advice nothing beats storing your files locally in your own harddrives.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:42:33 PM   #7
churchofanthrax
Thanks (Given): 937
Thanks (Received): 10748
Link(s):

Most sites delete files after 30 days if you have a free account
is Offline  
Old 03-19-2017, 03:50:49 PM   #8
M
Thanks (Given): 467
Thanks (Received): 1325
Link(s):

Yes, that's correct. But, for the purpose of moving, I think 30 days is more than enough.

Added:
------------------
However, nothing beats placing the files on a physical drive and bringing it with you. You can get 1TB thumb drives
on Amazon for less than 30 bucks. Just another suggestion.

All members are encouraged to REPORT any rule violations.

Last edited by M; 03-19-2017 at 04:09:54 PM.
is Offline  
Old 03-19-2017, 05:20:42 PM   #9
wolfgame
After all external harddisk case is best solution
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27:39 PM   #10
xVaQuem
Original Poster
Thanks, appreciated.

Btw Mega doesn't allow us to keep files private or public unless I don't share the link with anybody, right?
I think I know what do now, so time to work.

Again, thanks to all of you for helping me out to make the right decision.
is Online  
Old 03-19-2017, 05:43:13 PM   #11
drdvdr
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 47
I use external HD's as suggested a few times...cheap and easy.They can fail though so I have a backup of the backup for real important files.I don't trust cloud storage or the integrity of my phone lines/net connection so wouldn't use that as a long term solution..
is Offline