CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > Site Suggestions & Site Errors & Everything related to CGP
Reload this Page Astronaut model on cgpeers
Site Suggestions & Site Errors & Everything related to CGP Got a suggestion? Let us know. Also post any site errors here.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:38:28 AM   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 14
Default Astronaut model on cgpeers

I believe that the creator of this model may be one of the twelve people currently seeding this and flagging those who download it with the internet carrier.

I noticed that every sharing site had the model removed due to copyright shat and could ONLY get it on cgpeers. Downloaded it two days ago. The next morning I got a warning from my carrier...

I don't care, doesn't scurr me, it isn't as though any consequences will be faced for downloading the world, let alone one model. I'm just sayin so that some type of discussion can happen about more of these potential scenarios where unmasked public ip's are vulnerable and how some should consider the risks.

For ME, I don't face risk... I'm in sunny california where my carrier cares far more about the 100$ a month Im paying for service over some dude that sculps 3d models

But what if "Marvel" offers "Comcast" enough money to make it worth Comcastss time and resources to not only close the account but also retrieve account info, such as all emails and browser history of that "offender" for use in some type of legal challenge....

And on top of the openly available ip issue, If you don't have control of your modem/router, as in full admin access, you are completely vulnerable to your carrier tracking everything you do, everything, everything, as in not even preventable by using tor browsing...

shit is gettin kinda ridiculous now with the tracking. If you are like me and don't give a shat cause you have no worries about anything personally, that is lovely. But if you do have anything to consider, be vigilant in your protection cause you now have to think about the OS, the modem/internet carrier, browser company, and logged in website accounts that all have the ability to get all up in your shit without you knowing about it.

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38:09 PM   #2
dubadum
Thanks (Given): 1696
Thanks (Received): 2822

Link(s):

because VPN & other options are so hard to comprehend
also, if you wanna be a real bastard stop seeding before 24h passed...
is Online  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04:28 PM   #3
dmd7978
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 14
Link(s):

A vpn is besides the point and only protects you from ONE of the four tracking situations which I mentioned. It protects against a server seeing your public ip, that is all. Keeps you safe from the astronaut situation but not against any of the others that I listed. I'm a network engineer, my specialty being network security.

The machine I use for torrents is completely separate from my home network and runs no active security measures other than monitoring for use as a honeypot and to test various net based instances.

The huge problem with the "vpn" or tor "solution" is that people get a VERY false sense of security. While a vpn could keep those seeders from seeing the ip downloading, it CANNOT keep the internet service provider from "seeing" exactly what you are doing, every ip your machine is attaching to, if you do not have full control of the modem/router/firewall...

Nor can it keep google from seeing exactly what ip/url you are initiating a torrent from. This is another huge issue cause the ip masking doesn't play ANY necessary role if you initiate it while logged into a google account.

I get what you are saying, you are not wrong. It is just that there is far more to it than that.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - dubadum thanked for this post
Old 09-13-2017, 10:59:00 PM   #4
olivetty
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 27
This is a hugely interesting topic and I'm glad someone brought it up. Is there a way to maybe implement magnet links on CGPeers, does that actually do anything? I've seen uTorrent make seperate torrent files in Appdata on Win so maybe they don't do shit? Sorry for my ignorance!

Do you have any nice tips about the router control you are advocating? I've got admin control over it of course, but what is there for me to change (setting wise) to better protect myself? Sorry of being all needy, but except firewalls and port control, there ain't much one can do right?

The VPN thing I've never trusted, what a bunch of bull. There are easy ways of following the network path of onion networks so ISP not seeing what goes through their cables, because of VPNs, is crazy talk.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:09:17 PM   #5
bedtimebear
Thanks (Given): 306
Thanks (Received): 307
It's because you live on the most free and democratic country in the world, where the oligarchies respect the anonymity and free will of citizens and are widely supported by a legitimate government elected by common people not subordinate to economic groups interference, unlike many repressive and anti-democratic nations around the world always blackmailing citizens, and promoting a police state of constant marginalization of the civilian population as a whole in a generic way for a various whimsy reasons.

God saves the Queen, Comcast, Disney Company, Open Society, Ford Motor Company, Rockefeller's family, the great philanthropist George Soros, Clinton's family, Goldman Sachs Group by the great economic work done around the world enriching the human matter and freeing many countries from evil.

Beware of bio-metric technologies present on smartphones including social networking platforms and cloud sharing. Digital and facial recognition, 2-Factor authentication. A double-edged sword against you.

VPN. Hannn. I give my two cents. If it someday was broken by any ally intelligence agency or exploited by NSA back-doors installed directly in the hardware (processors, firmware...) by collaborating technology companies. But in general way VPN/Usenet/ it is more like a mousetrap than a protection. It's just another way to make money fragmenting the internet

Solution: Do not try to hide using traps, but try promoting union. They can criminalize a dozen of hidden people or randomly nested individuals ('unprotected - not paying for VPN services'), more can not criminalize 7 billion of free people.
2 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Georgeivan, dubadum thanked for this post
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49:42 PM   #6
dubadum
Thanks (Given): 1696
Thanks (Received): 2822
all true there's no absolute protection or a hiding place...
we do expose and defend equal rights for all... but what it brings? more ignorance & arrogance
ie. GPL heals the greedy authoritarian sickness, yet users behave as if they own the institution
we can only share among eachother as nothing can be owned - only used... if it's not used, then it's abandoned, forgotten and lost... "cement"

Last edited by dubadum; 09-14-2017 at 05:56:35 PM.
is Online  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - bedtimebear thanked for this post
Old 09-14-2017, 06:11:00 PM   #7
bedtimebear
Thanks (Given): 306
Thanks (Received): 307
Link(s):

People should be happy to see their work being shared. It's much better than being ignored.
Many people sharing a product can only mean that it is very good and greatly appreciated by the community. A great way for companies to invest in a new business model.
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - dubadum thanked for this post