CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page Lightwave 3D help with Paolo Zambrini setup
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 10-14-2017, 08:39:36 AM   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 134
Thanks (Received): 8
Default Lightwave 3D help with Paolo Zambrini setup

Hello,
I really like the pictures of engram / paolo zambrini. He described his setup for fast
lightwave plant rendering in 2014.
I am not able to understand what he means with DP Sky Light, which light does he mean??
I can find the SK (Sunsky) Sky Light and SK Sun Light, but no DP Sky Light??

Here is a copy of the original text - maybe someone can help me a little bit to understand
zhe setup or could upload a primitiv scene setup with two boxes and the lights.

Here is the description:
Vegetation, which is excluded from GI, is lit by DP Sun and a dedicated DP Sky Light (a special dome light that casts the same light as Sun Sky but in a direct way). Zambrini adds, ?Exclude everything BUT vegetation from this light. This trick avoids having useless GI light bouncing into vegetation and long irradiance cache computation on leaves, plus it will give you extremely precise shadows between leaves that you couldn?t otherwise get with GI. Again, DP Sky Light is a direct light, so leaves' translucency will work with it, while it wouldn?t using Sun Sky and GI unless you make a nodal setup, which will render more slowly ".
Another big issue when you have a lot of vegetation is blurred reflection on leaves. Zambrini says that if you use DP Sky Light, you can totally disable reflection and use specularity instead. Since DP Sky Light is a dome light (or hemisphere), specularity will act just like a reflection. So if there are buildings or other objects blocking the sky from vegetation, specularity takes shadows into account (exactly like diffusion). So occluded leaves will not have specularity. Zambrini adds, ?This setup will give you better results than any other setups. We know because we?ve tried dozens. And it will probably render faster than any other setup as well.?

Thanks slomo
is Offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:04:15 AM   #2
virtus
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 32
I am not able to understand what he means with DP Sky Light, which light does he mean??
I can find the SK (Sunsky) Sky Light and SK Sun Light, but no DP Sky Light??

DP Light is a collection of additional lights for LightWave3D 9.5 and its new Light API. Made by
Denis Pontonnier, you can find the collection in his site :

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/lights/Additional_Lights.html

they are free - go to downloads and choose your LW version - also check the manuals and some animated gifs that show what each one do in the site.

Last edited by virtus; 10-15-2017 at 06:15:06 AM.
is Offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:02:01 AM   #3
slomo
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 134
Thanks (Received): 8
Hi,
I got it know - first sunsky setup and then add a sk sky light (first one is automatic nanmed as sk sky only).
Exclude radiosity and sk sky from vegetation - exclude all other models from sk sky light.

No dp lights needed.

Thanks
slomo

Last edited by slomo; 10-15-2017 at 09:10:18 AM.
is Offline