CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > CGPersia Home > General CG Help & Support
Reload this Page WebGL Ripping Explained.
General CG Help & Support Baffled by something? Ask for support here! NOT FOR SITE ISSUES OR REQUESTS

Old 07-04-2016, 01:28:46 PM   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 1418
Lightbulb WebGL Ripping Explained.

Step by Step NinjaRipper WebGL Ripping Guide - For Windows 7, 8 and 10

Get NinjaRipper 1.6 :
Link(s):

Download & Setup Procedure
1. Install firefox and create a ripping folder C:\tmp\webrip
2. Unpack NinjaRipper 1.6 in C:\tmp
3. After unpack go into C:\tmp\ninjaripper1.6.0\x64 and right click the NinjaRipper.exe file and then select properties from the context menu.
4. Now select the "Compatibility" tab and check the "Run this program as an administrator" check box and then click the "OK" button to close the properties window. //// If you have a 32Bit system do the same to the NinjaRipper.exe file in the x86 folder. And search google for a 32Bit version of Firefox 35. ////
5. Install a copy of 3DsMax, supported versions 2009 to 2017.
6. Go into C:\tmp\ninjaripper1.6.0\ and unpack the ninja_ripper_EvoGIMS_manualinstall.7z file. Open the MANUAL_INSTALL_NOTES.txt file and follow the installation instructions to install the NinjaRipper EvoGIMS 3DsMax plugin. After you install the plugin, reboot your computer to finalize all the installations.

WebGL Ripping Settings & Procedure
1. Disable Antivirus and any other program that might block NinjaRipper temporarily while you rip data.
2. Open C:\tmp\ninjaripper1.6.0\x64 and run the NinjaRipper.exe file.
3. Target - Exe: 64Bit should be set to: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe and 32Bit should be set to: C:\Program Files(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
4. Target - Dir: 64Bit should be set to: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and 32Bit should be set to: C:\Program Files(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
5. Wrapper drop down should be set to: Dx11 Wrapper for 64Bit firefox and Dx9 Wrapper if you are using 32Bit firefox and 32Bit NinjaRipper (x86).
6. Output Directory - Dir: should be set to: C:\tmp\webrip
7. Click the "Settings" button to configure mapped keys. The default mapped F key settings are incompatible with Firefox. By default F keys that are not used by Firefox are F4, F8 and F12. Assign the "All" drop down to F4. Assign the "Textures" drop down to F8. Assign the "Forced" drop down to F12.
8. Set the "Forced Rip Interval" to 10. If your rips end up with missing meshes or textures then increase this setting to 15 or 20 and try again.
9. Check the "Force DX Dlls Load" check box and then click OK to save the settings.
10. Now click the "RUN" button to start a NinjaRipper wrapped Firefox session.
11. For this giude we will rip from SketchFab, in Firefox go to this URL: sketchfab.com/models/1ba2f8c3056b4025953d8d40b99206fe/embed
//// for sketchfab ripping, always add a "/embed" at the end of the url that you want to rip. This forces sketchfab to load the WebGL viewer and model only and not the default sketchfab web page with small viewer, comments, ads and other crap. The reason for this is that when NinjaRipper starts the ripping process, it only rips the WebGL content and will run its full cycle without errors. If you rip without /embed you will get ripping errors.
12. After the 3D model and web page has finished loading click the Full Screen icon in the bottom right of the WebGL viewer.
It looks like this:
Link(s):

This will force focus on the viewer, this applies to any WebGl website that you want to rip from. "Always view WebGL viewers you want to rip from in Full Screen mode when ripping."
13. Using your mouse drag on the model so that it rotates a full 360?, this is important because most WebGL viewers make use of "Dont draw back faces when loading a model to speed up the model loading process." By rotating the model you force the viewport to load all geometry and any texture maps assigned to it.
14. Now press "F12", as NinjaRipper runs the viewer will lag and become unresponsive to mouse movement control. When smooth mouse movement response resturns NinjaRipper has completed its ripping process. Open C:\tmp\webrip\_NinjaRipper and you will find folders labled by Date and time of each Ripp you have done. In these folders you will find Mesh###.rip files and textures.
15. Open 3DsMax and select the Utilities tab in the control toolbox on the right hand side of the screen. At the bottom you will see GIMS Evo rollup with black background and large NinjaRipper title. Run the plugin, once loaded make sure that "Flip faces" is checked. Also check the "UV coordinates" Flip V check box. Import mode must be set to Path ID's and Engine drop down set to "Other". Set the "Path" value to the folder that contains the mesh###.rip and texture files. Set "Path ID's" to "0-50" and click Import.

All ripped meshes will now be imported.

NOTE: NinjaRipper always saves ripped textures in DirectX DDS format. And some times misses texture files. To get all textures in their native format, generally PNG and JPG load the Sketchfab page and use the Developer Tools, Network tab and filter by IMG to display all images loaded, order this list by size from largest to smallest. All the large file size textures in their native format can now be saved. The short cut key to access Web Developer Tools is Ctrl + Shift + I.

NOTE 2:When Ninja Ripper rips with DirectX, it copies across a DLL file to the browser directory for use in ripping. Unfortunately if you change over to another ripping type, it does not delete the previously copied over DLL file. You have to go and delete the file manually. For example, If you are using firefox then go to the browser folder where the exe file is "firefox.exe" and in this folder you will see the d3d9.dll file. Delete it. Now run Ninja Ripper in intruder mode and it should run fine. If it complains about another dll file, eg, d3d8.dll then delete that one to.

Every time you change to a different mode you have to delete the previous modes dll file that was copied across by Ninja Ripper.

If you guys read the readme file for Ninja Ripper, it explains this to you.

Also, always be sure to check the Ninja Ripper website for updates, specially now since the v1.6 and later has had a focus on WebGL specific updates and fixes.
Link(s):

__________________________________________________ _________

WARNING!!! DO NOT POST WEBGL RIPPING REQUESTS IN THE FORUMS UNLESS THE THREAD MODERATOR SPECIFIES THAT RIPPING REQUESTS ARE PERMITTED.

################################################## #################

Hi peeps, posting this as an effort to clarify/educate those of you trying to rip WebGL content. If you don't know what a markup language is or the basic principles of scripting then stop reading now as you will be wasting your time.

WebGl is the 3D standard developed by the Khronos Group to render interactive 3D content in web browsers. It can only be instantiated/loaded through an HTML DOM using JavaScript and is limited in functionality due to the high security risk of the web. WebGL is not compatible with OpenGL and does not require 3D hardware to run like that of OpenGL.

There are for me only three groups of 3D interactive website setup groups that I will mention. This is because each setup has different way of hacking/ripping. There is no one click system, each rip type is different and as I explain you will see why. Also importing and converting via script is generally done using 3DsMax from v9 up to 2015 and some times the use of Blender as using the Python interface can produce better results than MaxScript through the ripping process for SketchFAB (Less holes for some reason).

So if you want to RIP WebGL then download 3DsMax from here or torrent on peers before going further, also be sure that all your MS.NET Libs are up to date and correctly installed. Get the .net repair tool from Microsoft download site for easy fixing.

Group 1:
SketchFAB: Has a custom WebGL engine based on the opensource ThreeJS engine from ThreeJS.org and the OpenSceneGraph framework.

Ninja Ripper 1.5.1 :
Link(s):

This ripping package is developed by a Russian crew and Rips directly from memory. It supports Direct3D 9, 10 and 11, it also supports OpenGL supposedly but I have not managed to do a successful rip in OpenGL yet. If you have any questions regarding it then bug them for the answers in their support forum. Took some time and loads of using Google translate to get answers from them as they tend to ignore you if you ask your questions in any other language other than Russian. Using this to rip with has given me the most success. On windows 7 64Bit using previous generation/version of FireFox I managed to rip SketchFAB, the models are always broken but not to badly, filling the holes and using GOUVLayout to repair the UV errors is usually quick and easy, good luck

SketchFAB Ripping Tutorial Thread:
Link(s):

Verold: Has a custom WebGL engine based on the opensource ThreeJS engine from ThreeJS.org and the OpenSceneGraph framework.

For Verold use the same method as SketchFAB

Clara.io: Has a custom WebGL engine based on the opensource ThreeJS engine from ThreeJS.org and the OpenSceneGraph framework.

For Clara.io use the same method as SketchFAB

Group 2:
Artstation: Has a custom WebGL engine that is developed and maintained by Marmoset.
Artstation/Marmoset ("filename.mview") unpacker. Good for upacking textures but usless for model obj data. - mviewUnpack.zip download.
Link(s):

Support Thread:
Link(s):

Artstation/Marmoset ("filename.mview") Blender v2.49 with Python v2.6 Ripper.
Good all round ripper for textures and model obj data. Works best with Blender v2.49 and with Python v2.6, to use simply extract the zip file and copy the "newGameLib" folder to the blender.exe root folder. eg. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender". Run the Blender249.blend file and once blender has finished loading click in the script window and press "Alt" key + "p" to run the script. Brows to the mview file and select import. Then press "Alt"+"p" again and browse into the newly created folder labeled the same as the mview file with an "_files" in the name. In this folder you want to import the "scene.json" file. Once loaded export the 3D scene to the format you require. -
Link(s):

Group 3:
Plugin content: Uses a third party plugins to render the result. eg. Unity, SilverLight, Adobe Flash, etc. These packages are not open source and once compiled cannot be edited by conventional means.

Unity Importer 1.0 beta8 A 3DsMax unity asset ripping plugin script for 3DsMax v9 to 2015 created by Chipicao.
Link(s):

Support site:
Link(s):

I know there are other websites and setups out there, experiment with what I supply you from this post.

Last edited by JayBass; 06-01-2017 at 05:45:04 PM.
is Offline  
16 Thanks, 0 Dislike - dmd7978, brendanbell, kingst0n, aytimothy, Mardud, PeterPiper, provakator, Dik84, zsewsx, zirrix, SirBA, Patch Echo, Sproxar, v01dh4x0r, patar3d, Hawkeye thanked for this post
Old 07-04-2016, 03:36:04 PM   #2
Hawkeye
Thanks (Given): 3793
Thanks (Received): 11881
You still in your hospital bed JayBass?.

Marriage is an intolerable obstacle to individualistic evolution.

The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn
is Offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 08:49:17 PM   #3
JayBass
Original Poster
No, out and recovering at my dads for 2 weeks. No internet here so sporadic 3G connection from my phone is all there is.
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - radoman thanked for this post
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34:31 AM   #4
prezadent
Thanks (Given): 962
Thanks (Received): 2556
Link(s):

how come you never ask about my well being? why is that? i'm a person with feelings also.

1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - kingst0n thanked for this post
Old 07-13-2016, 08:55:07 AM   #5
Hawkeye
Because prezadent...unlike your mind, your body is not undergoing any trauma ATM.

The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn
is Offline  
Old 10-20-2016, 06:23:32 AM   #6
SirBA
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 31
Link(s):

I have had never to date attempted ripping models from memory for games and/or browsers... Hence I classify successfully as a rookie at this.

Through seeing a few models you in person have had shared: I wanted to give it a try and followed each step in regards to both the links and all you have referenced. But for what ever reason I am only ending up with a log file in which I can only follow up on the *.dll list of actions the program has taken when I attempt to SketchFab via FireFox (Even the Matt Damian model as given in the link or actually downloadable models).

When was the last you have had given FireFox+NinjaRipper a go? Are there new security measures, regional internet restrictions? Or am I simply being an idiot and doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance
is Offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03:03 PM   #7
SirBA
Please do never-mind my earlier post... It is now handled.
Instead of just editing/deleting the post I find it better to just share what seemed to solve my problem...

After restarting the computer all worked just as described per links shared.
For some reason after having the computer powered and active on internet for about a day: as before I would only retrieve "log files" only.
But again via restarting the computer all worked well.

I can not say I understand what the problem is... Though for some reason rebooting helps.

Once again my gratitude to the guiding posts on the matter:
Thank you...

Last edited by SirBA; 10-25-2016 at 09:06:44 PM. Reason: I am an idiot when it comes to typing fast... Fixed it a bit
is Offline  
Old 11-14-2016, 02:48:38 PM   #8
alondans
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
I tried it with Ninja Ripper 1.5.1 with mozilla and chrome
also for artstation and SketchFAB

BUT, it does not work.
Can anyone conform, that it still works?
is Offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39:45 PM   #9
alondans
Thanks (Given): 0
Any help would be great.
is Offline  
Old 11-17-2016, 10:59:30 AM   #10
SirBA
Yes it works surprisingly well. But you will have to mostly restitch the parts together.
And sometimes it fails to get the full textures unless you close/restart firefox.
You may have to "jiggle" the model in view for it to work sometimes. If it gets stuck: It's ripping.
Else (As it had not worked for me until I did this): Try rebooting, clearing your current history first.

This said: Give (From settings) Ninja ripper "run this program as an administrator" authority. You may have to manually delete the divx9 dll from the mozilla folder in order to reuse firefox normally... But none the less it works very well.

And by the way please stop being such an annoyance on JayBass's other thread. That is not the place to ask your so such questions. Even ones of "Doesn't work for me".
I am literally replying to you here in spite the fact that personally I am literally annoyed and would wish to ignore you until you migrated these questions to Xentax.
But I chose to give you a go/chance to stop at it.

I hope I am the only one that is as annoyed by you.
I sincerely wish you overcome your problems and this be the last I read of your unfortunate attempts on steeling models from Sketchfab and blaming us for not helping you do it.

I will NOT help you again.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 Dislike - kingst0n, dubadum thanked for this post
Old 11-21-2016, 08:42:22 PM   #11
zirrix
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 4
Updated link to ninja ripper

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 03:20:36 AM   #12
JayBass
Original Poster
Another thing to keep in mind. To avoid the errors in ripping make sure you rip in full screen mode on the 3D viewer. Else you will rip the rest of the web page along with the 3D and that creates the errors.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:21:55 AM   #13
3DmodelDude
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 121
Ninja ripper must not work, I just get "can't create dir"
is Online  
Old 12-08-2016, 02:24:03 PM   #14
vincerex
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 46
Ninja ripper must not work, I just get "can't create dir"
ERROR
is Offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:05:15 AM   #15
3DmodelDude
Can ninjaripper get models from online unity games?
is Online  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28:50 PM   #16
JayBass
Original Poster
Not sure, I have a UNITY ripping plugin script for 3DsMax that so far rips perfectly for me every time. No matter if it is an online game or from a local game install.

Here is a archive with different rippers in it that I use.

3DsMax Unity Ripping Plugin & MView extractors
Link(s):

Also easy to forget, when ripping from a browser using Ninja, be sure to view the 3D applet in full screen mode. This will stop all the errors with the exception of having to stitch a few holes. All textures will rip correctly to, else Ninja rips the whole web page and not just the 3D. Thats what creates the errors.
2 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Antunez, Sproxar thanked for this post
Old 01-21-2017, 10:00:50 AM   #17
JayBass
Original Poster
Well, they have released a new version of Ninjaripper. Going to give it a bash, will let you guys know its its worth the effort.
Link(s):

Tested and works

Last edited by JayBass; 01-31-2017 at 02:32:08 PM.
is Offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 01:22:10 AM   #18
Lilifan
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 13
Hello, people! May I ask for some help from the experienced web rippers? I am a complete noob in all that is concerned to WebGL ripping and attempted to rip some models from Sketchfab via Ninja Ripper too. But my Firefox doesn't load 3D content from that particular site (although it copes with artstation), and Ninja Ripper fails to rip the sketchfab models. Couldn't you rip 3 architectural models and send me links? These models have not large complicated textures, mostly geometry and they are the best LOTR location models which I could find in the web not for money. Here are the source pages -

Rivendell - Imladris

https://sketchfab.com/models/28c8bf0957684dc1983fd04b1f3661b0

Minas Tirith

https://sketchfab.com/models/0398992...3a57244c7bd235

Bag End Interior

https://sketchfab.com/models/ec5aefc...8760c75a4a953d

I would rip them by myself, but at first I should find the right version of firefox without such bugs of loading sketchfab content. I hope more lucky users will help me. Greatest thanks for sharing!
P.S I have not found any appropriate model releases thread for ripped content, expect from Famous 3D Characters, but I don't want to spoil that thread with non-character stuff, so I post my request here. Sorry if I choose the wrong place.
is Offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 08:33:52 AM   #19
JayBass
Original Poster
Lightbulb WebGL Step by Step NinjaRipper1.5.2 Ripping Guide

Step by Step NinjaRipper WebGL Ripping Guide - For Windows 7, 8 and 10

See above first post!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:44:04 AM   #20
3DmodelDude
I would also like to add that the mesh will be in pieces, so export the parts in obj (make sure there are no duplicates) then import into MeshLab and run the remove duplicate vertex function. The obj files exported from MeshLab are smaller than maya and max I believe, because of how they are written
is Online  
Old 02-02-2017, 06:04:48 PM   #21
provakator
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 0
JayBass Thank you for great information.
Ninja ripper capture actual UV mapping? 8 times trying capturing models, always texture space missing! ripped mesh coming, planar projection mapping... i reject some points?
Link(s):

Last edited by provakator; 02-02-2017 at 07:07:15 PM.
is Offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 08:30:04 PM   #22
viktorspasov
Thanks (Given): 5177
Thanks (Received): 1226
Link(s):

http://cgig.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8951#p8951

используй скрипт gims evo. он загружает все возможные uv координаты

use script gims evo
is Offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 08:58:53 PM   #23
provakator
Thanks (Given): 11
Благодаря мат. большое спасибо
is Offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 11:47:43 PM   #24
JayBass
Original Poster
NinjaRipper 1.6 Update released.
Supports Firefox 51 and now also supports ripping from Chrome.

DOWNLOAD
Link(s):

2 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Lilifan, coderxxx thanked for this post
Old 02-03-2017, 11:12:28 AM   #25
TENGENTOPPA GURREN LAGANN
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 2
Sorry if this question may sound dumb but is it possible to rip Unity game animations?
is Offline  
Old 02-03-2017, 12:23:15 PM   #26
churchofanthrax
Thanks (Given): 943
Thanks (Received): 10887
Link(s):

Is this the longest user name on CGP?
is Online  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - radoman thanked for this post
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12:32 PM   #27
Hawkeye
No.....the longest user name on CGP is Nox.

is Offline  
Old 02-15-2017, 12:29:05 PM   #28
3DmodelDude
Anyone know what settings for p3d.in textures
is Online  
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46:26 PM   #29
JayBass
Original Poster
Default P3D.in

Link(s):

Use the Browsers developers tools like explained in the guide above to get all the textures in the correct format and size.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:50:41 AM   #30
Gelicider
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 15
I successfully ripped a model from Sketchfab, but it has a lot of holes in it. Is there a way to prevent it/fix it?
is Offline  
Old 04-28-2017, 10:56:20 AM   #31
DerBlaueKaus
Thanks (Given): 40
Hello there,

I'm a longtime lurker here and you all do a fantasic job.

I have a question please ... is there a tutorial for p3d.in models ... I'm able to dl textures but not the model itself ... maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I've tried to use niniaripper for it but didn't get it to work.

Any help would be much aprreciated.

TIA

DerBlaueKaus
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43:22 PM   #32
elessarix
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 299
DerBlaueKaus

Ask aunt google
for example: ninja ripper help

and you will find the answer

the answer can be some times easier than you believe ;-)
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 05:20:25 PM   #33
JayBass
Original Poster
When Ninja Ripper rips with DirectX, it copies across a DLL file to the browser directory for use in ripping. Unfortunately if you change over to another ripping type, it does not delete the previously copied over DLL file. You have to go and delete the file manually.

For example, If you are using firefox then go to the browser folder where the exe file is "firefox.exe" and in this folder you will see the d3d9.dll file. Delete it. Now run Ninja Ripper in intruder mode and it should run fine. If it complains about another dll file, eg, d3d8.dll then delete that one to.

Every time you change to a different mode you have to delete the previous modes dll file that was copied across by Ninja Rpper.

If you guys read the readme file for Ninja Ripper, it explains this to you.

Also, always be sure to check the Ninja Ripper website for updates, specially now since the v1.6 and later has had a focus on WebGL specific updates and fixes.
Link(s):

Version 1.6.4 has been released.
Link(s):

Last edited by JayBass; 06-01-2017 at 05:32:33 PM.
is Offline  
Old 06-01-2017, 06:40:10 PM   #34
Luckyfox
Thanks (Given): 166
Thanks (Received): 107
has anybody succeed to rip some google earth photorealistic scan layer?
so far getting only the geometry(quite ok I think) and textures in dds, but uv mapping seems broken.
is Offline  
Old 06-02-2017, 01:50:23 PM   #35
Kamikaze_88
Thanks (Given): 254
Thanks (Received): 261
Link(s):

Usually you have to change the U and V texture coordinates to 3 and 4 / 4 and 5 (cant remember) then the UV's become undistorted when using the importer for Max.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Luckyfox thanked for this post
Old 06-02-2017, 02:22:40 PM   #36
kingst0n
Thanks (Given): 538
Thanks (Received): 747
Well. This thread looks like one of the most interesting i have found in the forums so far. Great tutorial and comments.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:57:09 PM   #37
Luckyfox
Link(s):

Which importer then? because I tried with GIMS and Ninja Ripper importer 1.3 beta7
Haven't seen such option in GIMS, with ninja ripper importer got something more adequate but it's like the texture is planar and stretched across geometry.
Please kindly assist with import. Thank you
is Offline  
Old 06-03-2017, 03:01:32 AM   #38
JayBass
Original Poster
If it is planar, then just recreate the UV, planar is easy to recreate and modify. Its XYZ coord UV's that are the difficult ones to fix and edit.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:15:12 AM   #39
Luckyfox
Link(s):

it's not exactly planar, but at least it shows a stretched texture across the model where before it didn't show anything. Of course applying box, plane or other uvw mapping doesn't do the trick as it seems to be more of those xyz coord.
is Offline  
Old 06-03-2017, 06:02:28 PM   #40
Kamikaze_88
Thanks (Given): 254
Thanks (Received): 261
Link(s):

Could you upload the rips so I can give it a try?

Otherwise try a bunch of combinations for the UV parameters in the ninja importer until the UV's show up properly.

This is from the ninja importer help:

"TexCoord (u,v) - fields for enter data defining texture coordinates of the model, one of the most important parameters. For games, wich model imports without a proper uv-coordinates, a pair of UV always choosing by search. At the time is Identified that pairs can not exceed number 50, that is can be 6-7 or 18-19 or 24-25 or 39-40 etc. In very rare cases, a pair of uv can be 3-4 or 4-5 or 5-6, which is within the "normal field of definition", as well as 8-6 or 12-11, which is at odds with common sense, but may still be."

Last edited by Kamikaze_88; 06-03-2017 at 06:08:41 PM.
is Offline  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:58:49 AM   #41
Luckyfox
Thank you Kamikaze!
7-8 it was.

Last edited by Luckyfox; 06-04-2017 at 11:20:21 AM.
is Offline  
Old 06-04-2017, 12:10:50 PM   #42
kalaisan
Thanks (Given): 31
Instead of this method , would it be easier to rip a model from web 3d viewer
by

1. Go to full screen and grab screen shots from multiple angles.
2. Feed the image set into a photogrammetry sw like agisoft and get the 3d model?
is Online  
Old 06-04-2017, 01:14:05 PM   #43
Luckyfox
I had it in mind before. Scan of a scan is downgrading already quite low quality of earth scan.
is Offline  
Old 06-04-2017, 03:40:28 PM   #44
kalaisan
Link(s):

Earth scan aside, how would it be for a much cleaner scan of things like statue etc..?
is Online  
Old 06-04-2017, 03:55:14 PM   #45
Luckyfox
Link(s):

have you tried this approach(photogrammetry)? Might be a solution in certain situations.
the only problem I am facing now with the ripping approach is that it creates a shitton of .rip/.dds for a small portion of city. They are a mix of various LODs of the same portion of city, plus one square portion is often made of multiple objects that have to match to recreate completely the building/city block.
Importing them and arranging is like playing puzzle game. It's fun at moments, but it's counterproductive and time consuming process.
is Offline  
Old 06-04-2017, 05:30:05 PM   #46
kalaisan
Link(s):

I haven't tried photogrammetry yet. Bit hesitant about the learning curve ahead (also about the modelling skills required for any mesh cleanup) .
is Online  
Old 08-09-2017, 02:53:55 AM   #47
dmd7978
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 14
Very detailed, very good job. I would say, however, that I think that from this point forward the default wrapper should "always" be intruder inject. This has been my experience as well as what the developers suggest, I think with version 1.7. For me, dx11 wrapper does not work in firefox 64, it actually won't even initialize a rip. But I suppose it is possible that other systems will interact with ninja ripper differently.

Anyway, I have generally always gotten decent rips but always believed they could have been better if I took more appropriate steps. I'm gonna follow the rest of your instructions to the letter and hopefully be rewarded with a cleaner rip. Thanks, big time

---------- Post added at 06:53:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57:43 AM ----------

Mane, you fn SUPA ROK, yo, thanks a hundred times over J. Your tips are flawless. I was finally able to pull a near perfect mesh of a really complex zbrush model that before only ever came in halfway or crashed Max when trying to import. (I should also add though that updating from Max2011 to 2012 last night, after seeing this thread, likely played a role, though i don't know how much)
is Offline  
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15:55 AM   #48
penguinmarch
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 270
Anyone got an update guide for Sketchfab and Ninjaripper? Doesn't seem to work any more.
is Offline