CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page 2014 - The End of Softimage
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Old 03-03-2014, 01:20:56 PM   #101
Deluge
Thanks (Given): 933
Thanks (Received): 901
Righton Bro!...C4D R9.603 Rocks! I use it because I use Darksim DarkTree which works in 7-9.603. Plus I have a BUTTLOAD of plugins like the one you mentioned, mostly forgotten by most, that work in that version. Sure, it doesn't have the render quality of newer C4Ds but I have 6 external render engines to choose from so who cares?
is Offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 02:46:16 PM   #102
pixel mixer
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 349
Link(s):

In the 90s I used them both, mostly Power Animator, I really loved Power Animator for modeling (NURBS), particles and rendering, but i really liked Softimage for animation, way better than anything at that time.

Softimage was pushed by ILM, they did a huge in house development on Soft3D and Alias Wavefront needed to crush that Softimage monopoly in ILM so they sold about 200 licenses of Maya to ILM (and Tom Williams left ILM, he was running the computer graphics department there, for an Alias Wavefront management position). ILM was rendering with Renderman in Soft3D using their own proprietary tools and boy were they making mind blowing things.

For those interested a bit on what ILM did those days you can watch Steve 'Spaz' Williams channel on vimeo, he's the guy who animated the water serpent in The Abyss, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, The Mask, The Terminator, Spawn and so on. There was no motion capture those days, everything was hand animated. Amazing, amazing talent and a very very intelligent guy!!! Watch some of his conferences, they are a treat!

Power Animator was sold as a power modeler option for Maya 1.0, which didn't had any serious NURBS modeling tools and slowly faded away. Maya 1.0 had to borrow the modeling tools from Power Animator, so you got one license of Maya and one license of Power Animator running in modeling tools only. What a crap it was !!!

In fact the only differences between Power Animator and Studio Tools were the high degree nurbs curves and some class A surfacing tools available only in Studio Tools, besides that they were identical. When they ported Studio Tools to NT they kept the animation tools from Power Animator, so for a few years you could have used particles, dynamics and kinematics in Studio Tools, i think starting with version 8.5 or a bit later they took out the animation tools from Studio Tools completely.

The port of Soft3D to NT was not quite a success, it was pretty unstable and not to many companies dared to switch to PCs especially when SGIs were working so well and everybody was using them.

When Maya got out in 1998 there was a team of 3 programmers, not porting but writing from the scratch Maya on NT. They finished it 1 year after, with Maya 2.0 i guess.

I wish they would keep XSI alive or at least get what's good in it and put it inside Maya. I know there are very different architectures and that complicates things quite a bit. The problem is that this is very very old code and architecture, there are few programmers that do understand how things worked and for the last 8 years they just kept the code running without any real improvements. The only way to make things work from one software to another is to write a new software from the ground up.

It's like having a very very old car with a very old engine that no one knows how to repair so it's cheaper to build a new car that try to adapt some parts from one old car to another old car. And even if those cars are popular and decent to drive to add new power you need to change the engine and that requires to change the chassis and so on, it's way to complicated.

Let me give you some examples of technology acquired and then never used properly:
1. TDI Explore's IPR was the first and the best IPR ever, everything worked, raytracing, shadows, exclusion lists, etc etc, great tools, Alias Wavefront never managed to make a similar tool in Maya although the render engine came from Explore not from Advanced Visualizer or Power Animator, major failure, XSI's region tool was way better
2. Advanced Visualizer had the option of test rendering in the viewport, almost the same as the region tool in XSI except no refresh, but it worked very well, unfortunatelly since it was a different engine than Explore it was never implemented
3. Power Animator had proper NURBS tools, Maya never got exactly the same quality of tools inside Power Animator, even the same tools were getting different results or crashed Maya, trim and round tools especially
4. Advanced Visualizer had the option of creating proper multi rail surfaces (not just birails or multirail in one direction but bidirectional multi rail), very useful tool, never been implemented inside Maya
5. the rla format was very very good, ton's of data that you could use, including the name of the computer that rendered the frame so you could check what rendering machine failed, camera lens render time and the user that created the image, was the proprietary format of Advanced Visualizer, capable of storing 8, 16 and 32 bit data, never used in Maya, still today maya has only 8 and 16 bits in iff (actualy tdi format licensed from Arnaud Hervas, ex TDI guy, the creator of Shake)
6. Explore's shading manager was never implemented inside Maya, the Hypershade is a joke compared to what the Shadermaker was in Explore
7. Studio Paint was a 3d paint system from Alias Wavefront. they never pushed it further, although it was decent and had almost no competition
8. In Explore IPR you could select a region of your render and have it as you shader icon in your library when you saved your shader, it never made it to Maya although it was very useful
9. Composer was a layer based compositing tool capable of 16bit compositing in 1994, it was cheap and reliable, they killed it even if it was a success, they tried putting digital fusion into Maya but it never worked out
I could go on and on but it's to late and even if i ranted at the time nobody cared

Soft3D at that time was doing a great job on animation, it still does, the only real issues that they had was modeling, quite poor actually and the render engine which was a total crap, you could use their own render or mental ray, even ILM wrote their own translator to renderman everything else was too slow.

When XSI cam out they knew they had to beat Maya and they had already better tools, rendering was good, animation top notch, they had some particles inside, everything was kind of solid theoretically unfortunately not quite stable and they never managed to get back on top, Maya was no#1 and it would continue to stay like this for another 10 years despite XSI's vision for better tools and smart tech like crowd sim, facial anim and ICE.

Alias Wavefront was sold by SGI in 2004 to a pension fund in Canada, for 57 millions. They bought the next year in 2005 by Autodesk for 143 millions. How stupid is that, they could have bought it 2004 for 57 millions, instead they wait for a year to buy it at almost 3 times the price. Those old timers really had a great year when they sold the company to Autodesk. Somehow the management of Autodesk is not very bright.

What can you do when the technology dies? You adapt and move on. If Bifrost does not make Maya 2015 a completely different tool with a lot of potential, then Houdini, Modo and Cinema 4D will kill them.

Commercially speaking Autodesk is the worst: they don't innovate thinking they have monopolized 3D animation and VFX by buying the big guys in the industry. It turns out that SideFX with Houdini which was never sold, steady but surely grew up and beat the crap out of maya max and xsi, they kept the same price for years, while maya changed from the original 35000 to 10000 to 7500 then 5000 then 2000 to the actual price of 3750 with the option on future upgrades to cloud support for 4300 Houdini kept the same price of 10000 until several years ago when they dropped it to around 7500 these days. Still a lot more than maya but they grow instead of dying from being too expensive. In time customers understood that you pay a price for new technology not for old and rebranded tech.

Last edited by pixel mixer; 03-03-2014 at 02:54:23 PM.
is Offline  
6 Thanks, 0 Dislike - sajad71, Crackhead, musapablo, darkarmy, HOU DINI, raycharles thanked for this post
Old 03-03-2014, 03:08:21 PM   #103
Georgeivan
Thanks (Given): 1010
Thanks (Received): 1062
Well looks like you work with all those programs Pixel Mixer,a that time i was only allow to touch a Indigo and Octane on a local TV station.
I recall my friend freaking out seeing SI3d running on my crappy PC and cracked...both think the same SGi days were numbered.
Yes the render engine was a joke,even lightwave have better anti-aliasing at that time,but a program made for SGI machines was there,running on a PC.
is Offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52:04 PM   #104
pixel mixer
All Soft3D users think that SGI died when the cracked version of Soft3D hit the streets but it does not have to be necessarily true. I'm not saying that i know the absolute truth but that what happened happened because SGI lost control of the openGL technology and their one and only strong point was their graphics boards. Their MIPS cpu was not that great, intel and ibm were making good progresses but if you wanted to run large data sims and big projects a PC would not have cut it, PCs were 32bit, SGIs were 64bit they could address more memory bigger databases etc etc, simply put SGI was representing everything pro while PCs everything "not Pro".

At that time Sun was a good competitor for SGI and they didn't have the same graphics boards so they abandoned the race. Intergraph was good and SGI bough them to rebrand the Z10 as SGI, they didn't want them dead but to get the clients. You kill a product when you can sell the alternative for the killed product and the customer does not have any other options. You leave them an option you loose market share and you're dead.

Look at how the market has changed with Dell, HP, Compaq, Apple, Samsung etc etc. Some adapted and survived some got bought by the competition. In 1994 there were other 3d animation software besides Wavefront, Alias and Softimage, running on PCs, Amigas and Macs in the same time with SGI. They never made it due to the lack of marketing, some survived for a while but there were some others which never made it the next year. And all of them had interesting technologies like one, i don't remember the name that was the only render that treated objects as solids not hollow, made by a dutch company. Almost none survived despite the hardware and OS.

Talking about the OpenGl boards do you remember Voodoo? Or 3DLabs, Elsa. They all made graphics boards but all got bought by the competition or filled for bankrupcy. Most ended up in Nvidia, Intel or Ati.

When you can run the same app on some cheap hardware with the same performance that day is the day the expensive hardware died. Same performance is the key not crappy performance. It was the transform and lighting from Nvidia which made the transition from graphics for the pros to graphics for everybody. Without NVidia we would all still play 2d games and think that SGI still makes the best flight simulators. Nvidia did what Ford T did for the automotive industry, made everyone a driver.
is Offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:29:25 PM   #105
Georgeivan
Yes voodoo was a freaking innovation at that time,i recall saving money just to play quake on opengl,that game just sell the card.

Wasn't that soft Anamorphium?,i recall real3d,videospace,turbosilver(the grandfather of imagine),sculp4d,truespace,but none of them have solid objects,anamorphium was sort of zbrush but very crappy,but i dont recall if were release at those times or late.

Most of my contact with the 3d world at those times were around downloading programs from BBS for Amiga
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:11:20 AM   #106
j1r00?
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Wow Georgeivan, pixel mixer loads of history and knowledge between you two. Still got to ask where do you guys see things going with Autodesk do you see a repeat of something in the past? Im a young guy when I heard of voodoo gfx cards it was for gaming and not CGI so forgive my question.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 04:27:21 AM   #107
Crackhead
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 31
@pixel mixer
Thanks a lot for the history tech overview dude (I'm assuming you're a dude as most women wouldn't know what the hell we're even talking about, sorry ladies for the prejudiced view).
I'm wondering how do you feel regarding the soon to be confirmed rumor of Softimage getting the axe. I'm interested in both an emotional response as well as an objective (professional) one.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 05:21:31 AM   #108
HOU DINI
Thanks (Given): 435
Thanks (Received): 68
And in somewhat related news, Autodesk just completed the buyout of Delcam for $286 million. They say Delcam will be independent...who knows, I just hope they don't eff with ArtCam.

Link(s):

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. & BIRMINGHAM, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ:ADSK) has completed the acquisition of Delcam, one of the world?s leading suppliers of advanced computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software. Autodesk announced its intent to acquire Delcam on November 7, 2013 for ?20.75 per share or approximately ?172.5 million (~USD $286 Million), using non-U.S.-based cash. Delcam will operate as a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Autodesk, with no significant changes planned for Delcam?s business.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25:55 AM   #109
RAYfighter
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Link(s):

You just described GIG 3d GO, it was awesome yes
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42:22 AM   #110
pixel mixer
Personally i think Autodesk should axe Max, XSI and Maya and focus real development on a new one. Frankly I don't care what they axe, what we have is more than enough. Autodesk was never an innovative company. You want innovation, get Houdini. You want ease of use, big projects with scripting and pipelines, get Maya. Maya can be pushed further than Max or XSI and it manages better huge projects. You can do wonderful work with maya 2009, xsi 7 or max 2009.

What most of you don't understand is that you should not hope for new tech and ease of use from Autodesk. This was never the plan, the plan was to get you an API and SDK that makes it open to write your own tools. That's because they never thought about small companies or freelancers but big companies that can afford R&D in house like ILM. That was their business model. So they will market Maya, MAX or XSI as the tool that made such or such movie.

I understood that in 1996 when I asked if it's possible to make the same images as the ones in the demo reel of Wavefront at that time and the answer was simple: you don't have the technology, it's proprietary.

They sell Max, Maya or XSI because these are industry standards nothing more. As I stated above they should axe all of them or even keep just one and focus on real development. They are about 5-10 years behind the real world.

Look at Houdini, it's for a brainiac not for an artist, it's like someone giving you the 4 basic operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and ask you to solve differentials, and believe me you will since every possible things is in there. You just need to use your mind. Not an easy task since most of the artists i know like to push buttons and contemplate things.

Let's look at the comp world. Besides Flame, Digital Fusion and After Effects nothing managed to survive. Did you hear the compers complaining that they have no more tools? Nope, they moved on, Shake died? moved to Fusion then Nuke, Combustion died? Moved to After Effects, Composer, Commotion, Inferno, Flint, Illusion, Combustion etc etc died in silence.

Look at the poor guys in editing world, everything died and the only options are 2 fucked up alternatives: FCPX crippled by Apple and Media Composer from Avid, still the slowest developer in the world. Not that FCP was a great tool, it was a decent one but nowhere near the Discreet Logic Edit.

The 3D world is so much livelier than the edit world. Embrace the new tech and learn the basics, once you know the basics no matter what tool you use you will be fine.

You can all afford to experiment the real 3d world because of the gaming industry. When I started it would cost more then a house to play with a pro 3d app. If you could not make money out of it fast enough you were dead. I know people that spend 150000 on a workstation that they never used, but worst is that I know a company that spent 1.5 millions on SGI hardware just to keep it in a depot for 3 years because no one knew how to use it. If it weren't for the gaming industry you will all play 2d games.

I could not care less about what they axe, i will learn a new tool and move on. I suggest you do the same, whatever you have learned so far no one will ever take it from you. Your mind is your only tool.

Last edited by pixel mixer; 03-04-2014 at 11:40:13 AM.
is Offline  
3 Thanks, 0 Dislike - SolidState, man, Crackhead thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41:40 AM   #111
Sproxar
Thanks (Given): 2316
Thanks (Received): 2149
Link(s):

Good news everyone! I have it on good authority that that's what they plan on doing. The 3D platform of the future? 123D! You heard it here first.

doing my part to make the world a better place... one post at a time.
is Online  
Old 03-04-2014, 12:57:04 PM   #112
animaltor
Thanks (Given): 101
Thanks (Received): 30
Link(s):

Autodesk Softimage’s retirement
Link(s):

[/url]

Link(s):

mm....until then ...to the year of 2016....kept rendering.

Last edited by animaltor; 03-04-2014 at 02:16:10 PM.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:14:02 PM   #113
Crackhead
Thanks (Received): 31
They did it... the bastards!
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18:24 PM   #114
pixel mixer
so you still have 2 years to learn something new!!!

and stop complaining! you're not paying anything anyhow!
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26:21 PM   #115
j1r00?
Pixel Mixer those are wise words. In the 90s was Autodesk a cad company or did they have both cad and media and entertainment? This is a stupid question given the fact that Autodesk is as innovative as Ryan Reynolds brushing his teeth with rocks, and are keen on moving into cloud based software. Do you see them merging development and creating something new?
Had you tried the Autodesk 2015 pre-releases that were uploaded onto this forum a couple of weeks ago? if you had what did u think about them? Loads of large studios have in house modelling tools uv tools and more and use older versions of maya. I wonder if Autodesk is aware of this and why are they still pushing new versions each year. I dont understand that logic.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:32:53 PM   #116
ciuccio
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 27
A pain learn another software, another workflow, others turn around...

For sure, no more money to ADSK.

In the next year I must found a viable alternative, but cannot see nothing so workflow wise like is softiamge.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:14:10 PM   #117
pixel mixer
Autodesk bought Discreet Logic and turned into Autodesk Media and Entertainment, they didn't had anything before. They are moving to cloud based licensing as adobe hoping the sales will keep up, in entertainment they are free falling.

The trend of rebranding the same software under a different version for the last 4 years shifted the market from "i do everything with one software or vendor" to the "solve the puzzle using different bits for different purposes" so nobody cares any more if you have the tools to do unwraping in maya max or xsi, everybody switched to standalone specialized apps.

You model in one app, anim in another, UV from something else, dynamics in 2 or 3 different apps and render in whatever works. You connect everything together with a pipeline using automation tools and that's about it, you let the data flow.

In the 90s the workflow was to use different apps for different purposes but they realized it was to complicated for the artist so they made one app to rule all modules! Before maya you were doing modeling in explore or advanced visualizer, UVs in the maps module, anim in the anim module, ik in kinemation, paint in viz paint or studio tools, dynamics in dynamation, rendering in the rendering module and so on, different modules for different things. Power Animator had most of the tools in one app but it didn't have any history. The only drawback was that you could not animate modeling tools in the animation module so there were no options for passing more than the basic data. Maya solved that with an app that included everything especially history.

About 4-5 years ago everybody switched to pipelines, same modules as before but just smarter, you can pass smart data from one module to another and that changed the industry. For a one man show one app is fine for a studio with big projects it's suicide. Without any automation and project management you can't keep up with the deadlines and the requirements. Changing one part of one model and all the models in all the shots can take months and it's prone to human error, automation solves this and since you pay your artists by the day (that's the standard these days) you don't spend big money on menial tasks.

Pipelines are the future and with maya 2009 or 2015 you could do the same things from a pipeline point of view. Use Naiad standalone instead of Bifrost in maya 2015 dealing with all the new bugs and instability, you know what works and you know the workflow, maybe you spent a bit of time to automate things so it does not feel like 2 completely different apps but rather like a module of one single app, the difference is that the app is a pipeline not one single app. Alembic solved most of the inter apps problems and alembic is a pipeline tool.

Learn the best of what an app is doing and use it just for that so in the end you combine 3-5 apps to get the job done.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 Dislike - blackbyte79, Ichio thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47:15 PM   #118
superhuman
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 55
Link(s):

I'm not a SI user but that statement just shows how terribly naive Autodesk is.

Why the hell do you AD acquire a software you can't keep alive?! It's like you have a classmate whose grades are better than yours, then you figure out you can't compete with him and ultimately decide to punch him to death! How childish!
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - thanapooms thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53:06 PM   #119
pixel mixer
just to make my point about pipelines:
Link(s):

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Link(s):

You acquire the clients by acquiring the company as simple as that, the whole point of this is to get customers that pay yearly and buy some more, when you cannot convince them that they have to give you money for the same shit you pretend to be new by rebranding you better kill the product and offer the customers the option of switching to other product with the same functionality. It happened before with Alias Wavefront's products but some didn't had a chance to switch to anything like those who bought Composer or Studio Paint products which died in total silence.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Georgeivan thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 03:13:55 PM   #120
soundview00
Thanks (Given): 382
Thanks (Received): 77
Pixel mixer, your right on point again (no arguments here). I really appreciate your comments about the good ol' days when we saw the birth of animation software that revolutionized what we do today. Much respect.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:36:18 PM   #121
j1r00?
I get that bud damn Rhythm and Hues Voodoo makes maya and 3DEqualizer look like shit. With the iminent retirement of Softimage and the focus on Max and Maya, and all the new bugs in 2015. Have you personally rethought your pipeline or you sticking to what you are already used to given that thats the wisest choice?
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39:21 PM   #122
dink111
Thanks (Given): 673
Thanks (Received): 260
And so it begins

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:47:10 PM   #123
pixel mixer
depending on what you want to do you learn and adapt.

i'm making the switch to houdini but keep maya as my rendering tool, houdini is so slooooow. i've learned in time that maya is a crap when it comes to many many things but i use what works and get what doesn't work from other tools, proprietary or not.

what you don't want to do is go into production with untested tools, you have a deadline to meet and you cannot tell your client that your tools are rubbish it's your responsibility. so you stick with what you know and control otherwise you're toasted, since sooner or later the unexpected will happen and you don't want to be caught with your pants down.

the statement that rules the VFX world is "SHIT HAPPENS!" and you have to be prepared.
is Offline  
2 Thanks, 0 Dislike - man, Ichio thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 03:52:05 PM   #124
Ichio
Thanks (Given): 14284
Thanks (Received): 6727
well spoken, especially the very last sentence
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 04:26:13 PM   #125
Georgeivan
Well wish Rhythm could sell his thing to public.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07:16 PM   #126
pixel mixer
R&H tech is now in indian hands, Prana studios if i'm not mistaken. The indians destroyed the VFX industry, i can't blame them, what is a commercial success for them translates into bankruptcy in US, they are cheap and many and will beat any price in US. Same happened with the toys and electronics which are all chineese. But because of cheap labor you can all buy a smartphone or a tablet which is more powerful than the most expensive SGI computer for 3D, or watch a movie like Life of Pi.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

for those want to understand the progresses that have been made to the 3d apps have a look here at the tools available in the early 90s:

Wavefront Advanced Visualizer died in 1995 replaced by Explore
Link(s):

Link(s):

the UI was 1024x768 and the 4 viewports were 640x480 (4 viewports of 320x240 each) so when you were setting your camera to PAL the bottom of the viewport was going on top of the buttons

TDI Explore died in 1998 replaced by Maya
UI
Link(s):

IPR:
Link(s):

best streamlined UI, best IPR ever

Power Animator died in 1999 replaced by Maya 2.0
before v7
Link(s):

starting with v7
Link(s):

Wavefront Composer died in 1999 killed silently by Alias Wavefront
Link(s):

Link(s):

Dynamation died in 1998 replaced by Maya
Link(s):

Kinemation died in 1998 replaced by Maya
Link(s):

Softimage3D died in 2000 replaced by XSI
Link(s):

Matador Paint used a lot by ILM died in silence after Avid bought it same with Illusion the comping app
Link(s):

ILM did a frame by frame paint on Terminator 2 since it was the only way to make the transition from skin to CG

hardware:
SGI Onyx the flagship of SGI hardware, about 400000 a piece, aka "THE FRIDGE"
Link(s):

any smartphone is faster

SGI indy entry level workstation
Link(s):

no opengl just wireframe

100MHz to 200MHz were the standard those days as CPU speeds for SGIs, when the PCs was still having the 33/66MHz frequency button switch and running DOS
the only 3d app on DOS was: 3DSTUDIO 1.0
Link(s):

is Offline  
6 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Smurfy, Cadmium77, darkarmy, wishgranter, man, Georgeivan thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07:33 PM   #127
Georgeivan
Well big movies are still made in same places,like Weta,Framestore,but sure eventually all will shift,what i dont understand its how US government let this things happen,i mean R&H tech iys private propriety fine,but lets say you develop a new nuclear weapon,its the same,it can be used against your nation,there is no need to build a warhead to blow your economy.

I mean the knowledge to make toys or cars its worldwide known,but this tools are pure gold.

I dont recall if you also have Topaz and povray on DOS at that time,if i recall well yes

Last edited by Georgeivan; 03-04-2014 at 05:16:43 PM.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 05:08:17 PM   #128
IN10Se
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 151
Thanks (Received): 1701
UPDATE:
Screenshot of a deleted announcement of the software reseller jigsaw24:
Link(s):

is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - berdinatilli thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12:08 PM   #129
ciuccio
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 27
In your list don't see Mirai and Nendo.
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - squ thanked for this post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16:57 PM   #130
pixel mixer
Mirai and Nendo were great but they never had serious user base. There were tons of 3d apps but those were the main ones. Feel free to add what you rmember.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10:33 PM   #131
deathangel_1st
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 0
they have to mix all 3 softwares (Max, XSI, Maya) and make one powerful application. spending time and money to switch between these 3... but well maybe they have a good strategy for the futur. A Company like Autodesk cannot do something like this and lose lot of users, maybe they are planning something big, or they made a big mistake ? lets see...
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 06:35:15 PM   #132
Georgeivan
They are doing that,its called Maya,do you really think Max will live forever?it have the same or even less retarded upgrades as Xsi
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:08:53 PM   #133
dink111
Thanks (Given): 673
Thanks (Received): 260
Its Official

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06:42 PM   #134
plimployo
Thanks (Given): 418
Thanks (Received): 120
SideFX has a great opportunity...they should make a big discount to softimage users.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39:28 PM   #135
smilerpersia
Thanks (Received): 6
Autodesk bought softimage to strip out what it wanted and then kill off a competing product. There was never any other sensible reason for Autodesk to buy softimage when it already had maya and 3dsmax.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54:17 PM   #136
ever4nuke
Thanks (Received): 2
Very sad day for the XSI community, they should have stood strong like sidefx!
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54:29 PM   #137
pixel mixer
au contraire, it made perfect sense, houdini wasn't so well known and with the acquisition of Softimage they monopolized the market.
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00:07 PM   #138
calmitte
Thanks (Received): 2
i really love xsi and i liked to work with it due to it architecture ,but after i have understand that maya is the boss in movies and 3dsMax in games and as i am more interested for movies i have make the good choice when i start concentrate more on maya.
Softimage is the less profitable in the industry, so it the eliminated

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07:58 PM   #139
pixel mixer
Link(s):

softimage was sold to microsoft for 130 millions in 1994

I can't stop laughing at what Microsoft said when they bought Softimage:
Link(s):

then it was sold to avid for 285 millions in 1998 and bought by autodesk for only 35 millions in 2008

that was a good deal! but of course it depends on the value of the shares
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23:30 PM   #140
muchograndes
Thanks (Given): 730
Thanks (Received): 390
honestly, just get out of the autodesk ecosystem. It sucks. much like adobe.

the faster we swtich the better. ( yes obviously for clients its still required) but the more people start learning c4d/modo/houdini, the faster we as an industry can ditch this crumbling shipwreck of a software delveloper. all 3 apps they are seriously outdated. They are only surviving on momentum. Their core sucks.

they just keep sticking stuff on. i hope it just dies and the developers go to the other major companies and do good stuff there.

TIME TO DIE!!!
is Offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23:42 PM   #141
StinkyFingers
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 15
What is a viable alternative ?
(personal answer ideally concise)

It would seem only Houdini (?) can live in a professional environment for (movie/tv) VFX (that is rounded).
I would like to get out of AD products, and move on - the trouble is not just the software itself but having a user base to select from.

Maya (which I unfortunately use daily), is a steaming heap of dung, with extra dung slung on it year in year out - nothing useful has been done with it for years (IMHO).

Clarisse iFX looks like it could be good but is more of a 'finishing' product rather than all-in-one right ?
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09:06 AM   #142
Georgeivan
imho they are rewriting a lot behind the hood,they need to catch up houdini,what better than start to do a nodal approach like ice on maya
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58:07 AM   #143
j1r00?
Autodesk clearly has a lot to do to catch up with modo let a lone Houdini. Not saying Modo is the best just saying Maya and Max are lacking a lot.
Pixel Mixer I dont think India alone is to blame for the drop in the Vfx business they are the death of entry level jobs, this is a sore point I can never forget given that I heard the head of Framestore, MPC and the Mill say how they send entry level work to their india offices because its cheaper. The tax incentives are I think they make it harder for US studios to compete on price but thats not the point of this thread and my apologies if my facts are not to scratch.

Link(s):

Incase you havent seen it... I am really amused by Maurice Patel he kinda sounds like he is trying to avoid the point.
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29:43 AM   #144
Acido
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 36
Sign the petition.

Link(s):

is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00:02 AM   #145
darkarmy
Thanks (Given): 194
Thanks (Received): 14
3Ds Max will survive for its architectural vizualization, and that, will ultimately kill it.
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13:04 AM   #146
StinkyFingers
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 15
Link(s):

I can't see how this will even make a difference...they know how many paying users they have, and it obviously doesn't make the cut any more (which is just a catch 22 because they don't push it nor develop it properly).
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21:15 AM   #147
220W
Thanks (Given): 128
Thanks (Received): 180
I think Softimage don't need updates so it will be usable for next 5 years as it is
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 02:29:23 PM   #148
radoman
Thanks (Given): 5497
Thanks (Received): 6127
Maybe funny but true
Link(s):

is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - Sproxar thanked for this post
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03:25 PM   #149
Georgeivan
Link(s):

Bet you ass,it will be a Maya for arch guys,Max days are numbered.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Link(s):

Funny only 1500 signed the petition,so much for the userbase(and i even talking about pirates)
is Offline  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:39:00 PM   #150
sadaharu
Thanks (Given): 109
Thanks (Received): 115
"....the [design] concepts behind ICE will continue to live on, but we will not build ICE again within those products”

Visual programming down the drain. I was so looking forward that Maya might get something similar.
I guess it's way more productive and intuitive for artists to spend years learning something like MEL, C++, Python and what not to use full power of Maya! What the...!! ...eh

"Maya users are comfortable with their existing ways of working."
hahahahaha...oh..thank you...i haven't lough like this for quite some time now. Oh sweet lord and plastic Jesus..
is Offline