CGPersia Forums
Release Blog CGPeers IRC Chat FAQ
Go Back   CGPersia Forums > Off Topic > CG General Discussion
Reload this Page Does it make any sense to have an SSD on a render slave ?
CG General Discussion General discussion related to computer graphics and the CG industry

Old 01-11-2017, 06:18:18 PM   #1
Original Poster
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 111
Default Does it make any sense to have an SSD on a render slave ?

Putting together a render slave, first time. Using Vray for distributed rendering.

Ill keep all assets on main PC, which will use for modeling and render development.

Im just not sure if it makes any sense to put an SSD in the slave. I dont really care if PC/software startup isn't super fast. And since all assets will be held in the slaves RAM, not sure why it would make sense to have an SSD. Also, it will have 64GB ram, and so a huge paging file, and so would likely need a 512 rather than 256 HDD.

Cant see why I shouldn't just put a standard HDD in it.

Any thoughts?
is Offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32:47 PM   #2
drikklfraque
Thanks (Given): 141
Thanks (Received): 58
Make a simple Test if 1.) ssd is fast and 2.) how fast it is with sata.
Normaly you have a deliverspeed for ssd in real of+- 400 and sata goes round 150.
If you take 2 satas it goes uo, but..the divorce of the renderjob also will make a significant
timeout..
I use simple Renderslave-unit with 2 ssd and second pipe is 4 satas ( from wehre i get textures, files, and also make
a secondary backup there, if job / paranoia is high..)
And eaven in same Renderengine it can cause diff. Workspeed-outputs.
In first simple overview. it is also, how moch Mony do you have, how stabel is it ( satas go like farming-traktors, ssd can
make a mice hobby = fine mix of stabel, normalfast and price are Samsung evo 850, ne newer BX300 are bigger but...
in a thirdrow-testpahse..) and 2tbt satas .. Do not see much troubls and works.

sys : normal i7 7700 gtx1070 and so on------------------------ renderslave : 2x ssd 2x sata okidoki..
is Offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:25:20 PM   #3
Wall-e
Thanks (Given): 279
Thanks (Received): 938
depends how big your jobs are. if they are always pretty small you could use a 120gb SSD which are really cheap
is Offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49:50 PM   #4
A.K.A.M.
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 58
You already answered your own question.
Unless you render huge scenes which require more than your 64gig and memoryswap is taking place during rendertime - the Drives will most likely just idle around the whole time once the scene is loaded > thus - almost no noticable speeddifference I guess ; )
is Offline  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12:45 PM   #5
Joosh
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
First, let me say, this answer is in no way shaped by the amount of my retirement plan held in Samsung stock, which happens to be a significant amount.

I say SSD always and often and multiples (like 10 or 100). And only Samsung- never anyone else.

Also, I believe, everyone should have vast amounts of Lyrica and Lipitor stocked in their medicine cabinets. Who knows you may need it in an emergency someday. Once again, that belief has nothing to do with the percentage of my retirement plan in Pfizer.

I apologize for the slowness of the forum over the next several days as people whose investments are also held in Samsung and Pfizer fall over themselves to thank this post.

(Seriously though) With 64 gigs unless you're rendering massive scenes you probably don't need one. Get a 5400 RPM HD and you're golden. But, add a few SSD's for the peace of mind of knowing they're there. You don't even have to hook them up. You'll be amazed at how good you feel- it'll be like having a rainbow in your heart every day. (and remember there's nothing better than a little Litipotor after a big meal).
is Offline  
1 Thanks, 0 Dislike - flamingojohnny thanked for this post